Does unlimited everything make Wi Fi calling pointless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael Goff, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have a 50$ a month unlimited plan, and it never occurred to me to use my Wi Fi at all. Am I missing clearer calls or something? I just always stay on data to make it worth it.

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have WiFi calling disabled. Heck, since I get LTE indoors, I dont even use wifi for data anymore!

It (wifi calling) could be useful if the reception inside your home isn't good.

3. chunheisiu macrumors newbie

chunheisiu

Wi-Fi Calling is useful when there is low or no reception in your area, or your basement. It comes in handy when you are in a place where there is no data reception.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

I think that's why he said does unlimited everything

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have T-Mobile unlimited and have never used WiFi calling.

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Who is your provider? My plan costs me 100 per month and although I have lots of data, it's not unlimited. I would like to save 50 dollars a month each for the 3 phones me and my family use.

8. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

I can understand where WiFi calling may come in useful - in buildings such as home where you will have WiFi but weak cellular reception.

However everyone I know who uses data voice calling will be using whatsapp or viber or skype to do just that. More established plus you can call foreign numbers at no extra cost

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I was travelling for three weeks overseas recently and found it very useful since free WIFI seem to be widely available. In particular I was using Viber since many people I speak to seem to have it installed.

10. Simon89 macrumors member

I suppose it's useful for areas that don't have network coverage.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Is wifi calling free for international calls?

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

The mere existence of wi-fi calling likely forced the mobile operators into providing unlimited regular calling.

So although I never actually use it, it's invaluable as a competitive threat in the larger mobile market.

13. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Does wifi calling turn off the cellular radio?

That would be nice. My cell signal is very poor at my house. I use an ATT Microcell. I would like to get rid of that, but only if the cellular radio wouldn't try to hunt for a signal and kill the battery.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes it replaces the cellular radio. If you really want to take it to the extreme then you can turn on airplane mode and still use wifi calling.

WiFi calling is useful for basements and other underground facilities or buildings where cellular signals have a hard time penetrating. If you have good signal everywhere that you normally travel then it's not a big deal.

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

"Does unlimited everything make Wi Fi calling pointless?"

Not if you travel beyond your country's border.

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Depends on the carrier. At least in Canada, Rogers uses it as a money grab and charges full roaming fees when using Wifi calling outside of Canada. Nothing but a scam, at least for that instance.

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

WIFI calling is awesome for when you are traveling overseas. Free calls and feels like you have never left home on your bill no international fees. :D

18. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

3 bubbles of LTE, though I don't know what that means.

I meant for me, obviously.

Sprint, and the plan is only for the iPhone. Otherwise it's 60 a month. So if you don't like the iPhone 6 or 6+, you're out of luck. Also, Sprint is hit or miss around the country.

I looked, and sometimes.

So for me yes?

19. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I also wonder if you are in an area where there is no coverage from your provider. I had unlimited data from a carrier and then moved in to an area where they had no coverage. I had some usage but apparently the contract for unlimited didn't include unlimited when roaming - they showed me where in the contract. So not sure about current unlimited and unlimited voice but even with this - there maybe places where WiFi calling may be beneficial.

20. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Only a couple places at work, but they have no WiFi either. It's the middle of a factory, nothing short of wired internet has a chance.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not if you cant get good signal to make, receive and keep phone call conversations.
    Wifi calling is great when signal is low or in basements or other buildings without great coverage.
    Also wifi coverage is way easier on your phones battery than a fluctuating cellular signal that can destroy your battery fast.

22. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

Seems like a lot of you are not familiar with wifi calling. I worked for T-Mobile for years, and also had the service since probably 2004, until switching to AT&T back in 2011, and wifi calling was only available with Tmobile.

Wifi calling is great for a couple reasons. If you live in a house that has less than solid carrier signal, connecting to wifi allows your phone to piggyback off of your home internet connection make/receive phone calls. In most cases, if I had one bar of signal where I was, connecting to wifi provided me with almost full signal.

Now, with T-Mobile, the great thing about international calling and wifi calling, is that if I am in paris, and connect to wifi, I can make/receive phone calls as if I were back in the US with no additional charge. I don't know if that is the same for Sprints new wifi calling option, but at least it is/was for T-Mobile.

At the end of the day, rather than having to have a signal booster sent to you by your carrier, by connecting to your home wifi, you get all the benefits of the signal booster w/o it, and get solid call clarity when you are in a place with crappy signal.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Free in the sense of calling US numbers from abroad. Calling international numbers still get billed.

----------

T-Mobile doesn't. It's a way to travel and talk for free!

24. cynics macrumors G3

Its best to think about it as a way of having good reception in poor reception areas and nothing else until you talk to your carrier. Its baked into the phone so minutes and roaming charges can easily and will be applied (depending on your carrier).