Does unlocking invalidate warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peewiglet, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Peewiglet macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just bought an iPhone with 3 weeks left on the warranty. Unfortunately it's locked to O2, whereas my existing contract is with Vodafone. If I have it unlocked then will I not be able to extend the warranty? If I do extend the warranty and then have it unlocked then will the warranty not be valid if there's a problem?

Many thanks for any help.

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

if you are unlocking through ultrasn0w by jailbreaking it does technically void the warranty, however it is easy to revert to normal unjailbroken firmware if you have to take it in for repairs they can't tell the difference

3. Peewiglet thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for helping.

I looked up jailbreaking and I think that's enabling 3rd party apps to run on the phone...? That's not what I'm hoping to do. I just want to be able to use it with the Vodafone network (here in the UK). Currently it can only be used with O2.

Does anybody know?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To unlock your iPhone, software route, you need to jailbreak your iPhone. Yes, jailbreaking is for the customization (themes, different icons, etc.) and access to 3rd party apps that Apple doesn't allow in their App Store.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI, if you use the iPad bb, you will not be able to take it in for a very long time.
    As for JB, you don't have to install anything else to use ultrasnow.
    BTW, don't update your phone, until you've researched the correct way to do it first. iTunes is not the correct way to update.

6. 42streetsdown, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i think O2 will unlock your phone for a fee. If you do it that way you won't have to jailbreak and it'll stay unlocked. Call someone at O2 and ask them.

edit: just found this http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html
    it might cost you £15 but it might be free i dunno.