Does unlocking the iPhone let you use pay as you go?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by prasoc, May 29, 2008.

1. prasoc macrumors newbie

I have read the tutorial sticky and was wondering (I'm going to buy an iPhone in a few weeks) if when you unlock it you NEED a contract or can just use pay as you go?

2. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

3. prasoc thread starter macrumors newbie

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

While I agree with hudzilla, the answer for this one is simple: Yes. Once unlocked you can use any GSM SIM, including PAYG. I'm on tmobile PAYG at the moment.

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

This might be a lame response, but why would anyone want to use a pre-paid provider for their iphone that cost them $400 bucks?! Wouldn't you be missing out on all the cool internet/data functionality of your iphone? I'm assuming your pre-paid providers wouldn't include data services in their offerings, but who knows..

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The iPhone still has Wifi. I don't use PAYG, but i don't have a data plan. Whenever I need the internet, 90% of the time I am near a wifi point.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

really? where do you live? In both DC and Boston I've had to use EDGE constantly while on the go. I've found I definitely cannot count on being able to find free wifi hotspots.

8. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100% there, I live in San Diego, and most of the time free wifi doesn't exist. Now, if you are an anti-starbucks person who loves to drink coffee, then maybe you can, since most coffee houses that aren't Starbucks do provide free wi-fi, but they are few and far between these days since Starbucks put most of them out of business. LOL