Does update change bootrom with firmware?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by B.Ellis, Jul 4, 2010.

1. B.Ellis macrumors member

I am trying to get a 3gs with the old bootrom off craigslist.

1. Is there any way to tell definitively if it is the old bootrom without connecting to a computer?

2. Does Apple update the bootrom with firmware, or if I am sure it is an older 3gs will it have the old bootrom guaranteed?

Thanks for all the help,

B.Ellis

2. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

I got a 3GS from craigslist w/ week 24 and it has the new bootrom. The previous owner updated to 4.0.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

week 24 2010 probably, that or its a refurb. can you post first 5 digits of serial number?

4. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

Yeah, she got it as a replacement, so I'm not sure if it's a refurb or not. I'm thinking it's 2010 but she told me the phone is about a month old when she sold me the phone about 12 days ago. So, she probably got the phone sometimes in May. The first 5 digits: 5k024

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The "k" means it's a refurb, so old bootrom is likely.

6. wanzer macrumors member

Defintely a refurb (second character being a "K"), and the 40 week rule only applies to the third digit being a "9" (2009). A "0" means 2010 and obviously after the 40th week of 2009. But it might still be an old bootrom as dhl just said.

7. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

hmmm, so, they must pre-made the SIM tray as well b/c it has the same serial number as the phone.

8. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

No, I checked it. It has the new bootrom, 359.3.2.

9. wanzer macrumors member

Makes sense. It's a refurb so more likely than not they also reflashed it with the new bootrom.

I'm sure they replaced or relabeled the sim tray as a standard part of the refurb process.