Does upgrading to mountain lion delete iPhoto library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleFanManX26, Oct 12, 2013.

1. AppleFanManX26 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Just wondering if I upgrade lion to mountain lion does it delete the whole library? I have searched up on Google and I have seen lots of people having lots of problems with iPhoto. I have tried the backup the photos but I don't have a big enough external hard drive to fit it all. My library size is about 16 gigabytes.

Thanks.

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Why in hell would you like to upgrade to a system that just came out? Wait 6 months until all the bugs are resolved.

You never EVER!!!! in life! get the first release of anything! Wait until everybody else used it, sent the complains back and THEN you get the revision.

Wait until January at least.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well that is a pretty good reading fail Mountain Lion has been out for a while. To the OP in my experience Apple does a fairly good job of keeping your data safe on upgrade, that said it is always a good idea to have a complete backup of your machine before doing one.

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

It sounds like you don't have a full backup of your system since you don't even have an external drive that can hold your iPhoto library. Before upgrading your first step should be to backup your entire system, then you don't have to worry if something goes wrong.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In a word, no it won't, but do a backup, just in case.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, upgrades to newer OS X versions do not delete user files. However, prudent computing practice is to backup your drive before doing anything major to your system. I would recommend you invest in an external drive with the capacity you need.
    That's generally good advice, but Mountain Lion was released over a year ago, so your recommendation to wait until January is inappropriate.

7. AppleFanManX26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind I got mavericks anyway.

Nevermind I managed to backup my files anyway and upgraded my mac to mavericks. Thanks for the help anyway.