Does using 9600M improve basic performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AR15MBP, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AR15MBP macrumors regular

I tried searching but couldn't find a good answer. I'm new to Mac, and was wondering if using the 9600M improves basic performance, such as using Firefox, iWork, etc., I.E. Non-graphic intensive utilities. It seems to me like it does, and I'm wondering if that's because OS X is a very graphic heavy OS. Can anyone shed some light with some technical know-how? Thanks! :apple:

2. flanamac macrumors 6502

Perhaps a bit more information would be helpful.

Do you currently own the new 17"? If so, have you tried both modes and are you asking because you don't see any difference in speed?

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I don't think Mac OS X is very graphic intensive at all.

4. blooz4u macrumors newbie

I tried the switch during everyday computing, but I really noticed no difference at all.

5. flanamac macrumors 6502

I utilize PS CS4 and Adobe Lightroom and have found that they are becoming more graphic intensive programs because they are memory hogs; so Adobe is leveraging more and more the graphics memory which is often underutilized.

I will let you know if I see a difference in the future when using it and have about 20 Photoshop layers going which can creat a 1GB file in RAM memory.

6. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I plan on getting a 17 inch MBP. If I am using Logic Studio, would I notice any difference between the 9400 and 9600?

7. AR15MBP thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Unibody 2.4 15". I think there is marginal improvement in performance for basic programs, but I'm wondering if that's just a mental thing since I know I'm using the 9600M. I think it probably is at this point.

8. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I find the option a bit silly, really. There have been many times while at the office late on Friday for last minute production stuff where I completely forget (the past two times, actually) that there's even the option for higher performance. I always end up finishing the night in 9400M mode. I guess that's a testament to it's performance because production night is nothing but CS4 running for hours and hours.

9. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

The only improvement I have noticed is mostly the smoothness of UI effects such as the smoothness of Expose, Spaces or animations of certain OSX elements.

10. lars666 macrumors 6502a

When I have eyeTV on full screen and open Dashboard, the eyeTV picture in the background starts to stutter with the 9400, not with the 9600. Exposé ("Show all windows") also seems faster. Didn't notice any other differences. And still waiting for the fixed NVIDIA graphic update so that I finally don't have to switch to the cheaper on-board graphic to smoothly watch HD (trailer) with Quicktime ...!!!

11. Ploki macrumors 68000

i have the 2.53.
    i think what i see is also a mental thing. + running hotter :D which is not mental at all.

12. D4F Guest

D4F

No difference. Just make sure you get all the memory you can. That will be crucial for Logic.

13. jovanboi macrumors member

I have the Unibody 2.53 and I have been shuffling between the two GPUs to kind of glean some type of performance difference. I also use Photoshop (for school) and Logic most times. I really have found no noticeable performance difference, both Logic and Photoshop work about the same for me. I think it was kind of a mental thing, looking back on it. So now I just settle with the 9400, mainly because the 9600 just makes my computer run hotter than normal and gives me about 2:20 battery life.

14. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

would there be a difference if u were using iPhoto?

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I only see a difference with graphics on the GUI. But is it making my basic performance faster.. not really.