Does using Skype on the iPhone use anything from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moviecouple, Jul 3, 2010.

1. moviecouple macrumors regular

I am going to France & Italy in the morning for 2 weeks. It was suggested that as opposed to using AT&T World Traveler... that I should use Skype with the Skype Out feature for making outgoing calls while I am there. Skype is 25 cents and AT&T is 99 cents.
    My question is this. If I use Skype, aren't I still using some part of AT&T to connect to some type of cell network? Does Skype use AT&T at all for anything?

Any quick help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I used Skype in Germany and called home without using any ATT data. Just the fees of Skype. It kinda sucked to get everyone on board to download Skype on their phones and computers just to have me call them for free. lol.

3. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Yep, unless you're connected to a local wifi network when making the Skype call you will be charged

4. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

indeed, and wifi network points are most likely not as abundant and certainly not free as when having an AT&T contract in the states.
    When calling over wifi it is for free, but oh dear when you want to use 3G on a prepaid sim. In the Netherlands you need to think about 1MB costing as much as 2,50 euro's! And IIRC prices aren't much lower in the rest of Europa.
    So don't think you can call for free with skype whenever where ever you want.
    but if you plan long calls and want to use the wifi service of the hotel, skype is perfect!