Does using Spaces slow down the system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kioshi, Jul 5, 2010.

1. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

Hi guys,

I've recently begun to use Spaces so that I could let Mail in the second space, Vuze (torrents) in the third one, something else in the fourth one, while keeping my most used programs like browsers and Adium in the first one.

BUT I have noticed slowdown doing this. Bear in mind, I'm not using any software I didn't use before, just assigning some to Spaces.

Is this only an impression or does Spaces really slow down a Mac? Mine's a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66 2 GB Ram, I know, not a good one nowadays, but when I use these programs without Spaces the system seemed smoother.

Is it my impression or have any of you experienced that?

Thanks!

2. kioshi thread starter macrumors member

kioshi

I'm still looking for an answer by the way lol, hence the necro post :)

Sent from my Motorola Milestone 2 using Tapatalk

3. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

I can't say that I've ever had any slowdown. Maybe it's because you are using a core duo CPU however I would have imagined it could handle spaces, it's essentially just a utility; I can't imagine it takes up much memory or resources.

The only problem I have with spaces is that it's in the utility folder by default and not the Applications folder :p.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not so on my Mini with OS 10.5.8 - and I've never moved it. It's in the Applications folder. I haven't noticed a slow down. I had it active, then inactive for a long time, then activated it again.

5. kioshi thread starter macrumors member

kioshi

Nice to know. I saw some posts saying that it uses up more of your video memory (a problem in my mac mini with intel GPU shared memory), but I'll give it a try again. I like keeping the mail program and the torrent one in separated spaces, you know, the ones you always keep open but don't have to chek often.