Does using the iphone on a wifi network constitute as data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ejdge, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ejdge macrumors newbie

If I connect my iphone to my wireless network at my home, will I be using up my data? If not, is there anyway to tell when data is being or not being used? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not with AT&T in the US. I assume it would be the same elsewhere in the world, as you wouldn't be using a 3G or cellular data network.

3. ttttaylor macrumors regular

it shouldn't use any data. the "3G" logo in the top bar should be replaced with wifi bars.

also, you can go into settings > usage, write down the sent/received data numbers, use your phone a bit while connected to the wifi, and then check back. sent/received should be the same. that's what i did just to double check.

4. DennisVar macrumors newbie

It does not constitute as data usage because with Wi-Fi, you're using the internet connection from your house/coffee shop/etc. rather than the 3G connection.

Here's one way to see for yourself (or to allow only Wi-Fi mode): go to the Settings on your phone, and turn on Airplane mode. This will turn off 3G AND Wi-Fi. Then go to Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi back on. Now your phone-related features and data won't work, but Wi-Fi will still work.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

iOS 4 allows you to turn cellular data off. Airplane mode is also an option. With the data off, you won't be able to send/receive MMS.

6. capecod565 macrumors member

This is really nice to know, actually the ATT guy at the store told me this when I bought my phone in June.
    Then I dropped down to the $15 plan.
    Thanks for bringing this up.