Does Utorrent run on a mac? or a program similar..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saves the day, Jan 23, 2009.

1. saves the day macrumors newbie

Hi, i am considering buying a MBP, Macbook or Imac in March for my birthday and was wondering about how torrents work on a mac if they even work at all. I don't know much about them so i'm hoping someone who is familiar with this sort of subject can help. Thanks

Note: I may not put windows on my mac, just use os x

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Yes, there is a uTorent for mac. There are also other torrent clients.

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

uTorrent and Transmission - hands down the best torrent apps for the Mac. uTorrent is getting there for Mac but since I've started using it over Transmission I've noticed that the feature that allows you to limit your upload speed doesn't work at all. And I loved that about Transmission. Now whenever downloading torrents my internet slows down a TON because it's eating up my connection, like for example, right now.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Macs can do everything PC's can do and more. Torrents work.

You could try the main Mac Torrent Program:

Transmission

or

Azureus (Vuze) (id recommend this one, the most customisable and safe by far)

or

utorrent (wouldnt recommend this, for PC or Mac)

5. bay2sacto macrumors member

I've been using uTorrent since the Mac beta was released. At this point Transmission is a bit more feature rich but I prefer uTorrent. I get much better download speeds through it vs transmission. And I haven't encountered any problems using the bandwidth limits. Make sure you have the latest version as there have been a few updates since the first beta release. I would skip Azureus/Vuze as it tends to be more of a resource hog compared to utorrent or transmission since it is a Java app.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

thats true one a PC but with Mac Java's one of the least resource intensive applications available. Plus Vuze has RC4 and RC5 encryption which is the only real way to protect yourself from being monitored and prevent bandwidth bottlenecks.

7. saves the day thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used utorrent on Windows for a long time. Why don't you recommend it for either Mac or PC?

8. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Obviously works great for Windows, works great for Mac too especially given the fact its in its infancy stages for Mac right now. I have no clue what the other guy is thinking. It's great for both platforms.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

its great, its just not the best, its not customisable enough for me. I prefer the government to not know what im downloading, and i prefer my ISP to not be able to limit my download speeds when they know im downloading a torrent, and thats the whole point of RC4/RC5 encryption. I noticed from using utorrent and then swtiching to Vuze my speeds are massively increased, but only using the customisable features that Vuze supports. If you just keep the standard options in both programs then theres hardly any speed difference, infact utorrent is usually faster. If your new to torrenting just stick with utorrent, but if your a more advanced user and need more features and options switch to Vuze.

10. bay2sacto macrumors member

Maybe he likes the expandability of Vuze compared to uTorrent? There are quite a few plugins for it. And he did post about the higher encryption plus everyone has their preferences. I myself like the smaller and lighter-ness of utorrent. I used to use Azureus on XP up to when they switched it to Vuze. I was a bit slow and I switched to uTorrent and never looked back. uTorrent also supports encryption. If you're downloading pirated content I think everyone knows how to lower their exposure by now ;)

11. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

uTorrent for Mac.

I personally use that an Transmission. Transmission is great for downloading parts of torrents, while uTorrent is best for whole torrents.

Also, you might like to check this out.

12. saves the day thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link, saved it for later reference

13. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That is what I did. I actually have a bookmark folder full of threads I need to check up on at MacRumors. That one I just keep around because I need to reference it sometimes. Enjoy!

14. bay2sacto macrumors member

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean, uTorrent can do that too, as do just about any torrent client. In uTorrent just (click on info next to the search box if the info box isn't already displayed) click the files button in the info box at the bottom right/control click the files you don't want and select don't download. Easy peasy.

15. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

That's very interesting. Back when I used Linux, I always used Azureus but it looked pretty ugly and was quite resource heavy. I've been using Transmission without problem on Mac, but just this week I have seen a massive drop in speed. An Ubuntu ISO is now taking almost a week to download where it used to be minutes to an hour maximum. I'm very suspicious of why this should be, but I know contacting my ISP is pointless as they equate torrenting to pirating which is ridiculous. That assumption is made on this forum far too many times also.

I'm going to give Vuze a try on the Mac now and see if I am just being paranoid =]

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Wow - thank you. Didn't know I could do that in uTorrent. I like the way Transmission does it, but I'm happy to know how to do it in uTorrent. Thanks!!!

17. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I will point out that in the last several betas, there is a big bug in how uTorrent handles this. If you decide not to download all files in a given torrent, you are likely to eventually be given one of those "You are running out of diskspace!" warning messages, and the torrent will stop.

It only happens when you chose to skip one more files in a torrent. Head over to the uTorrent forums and read all about it. There are several threads on the issue and someone may have a workaround by now.

18. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I never had any luck with Transmission. I could d'load but never could get it to seed/upload at all. Yes, my ports were open, thats not a problem. Ive been torrenting for a long time so I know what Im doing.

Alot of people say Azureus/Vuze is a "resource hog." I leave mine running constantly and it typically uses about 100-120mb. But when you have 2+ gigs (I have 4) its really a non-issue. As someone else said, it is by far the most customizable client out there.

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It's funny you said that. I just was using that method today and got the "running out of diskspace" error. It was funny since I have about 100gb left. Just kind of odd.

20. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I love uTorrent on PC, use Transmission though.

21. Doju macrumors 68000

What's the point of limiting upload speeds? Or limiting anything for that matter.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your bandwidth is being shaped by your ISP.

Switch to Vuze, and turn on encryption.

23. Cap41 macrumors 6502

24. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Love Transmission, real easy to use, i use Vuze for Media from the program though.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Xtorrent is just a different GUI ontop of the Transmission codebase really. :rolleyes: