Does Verizon's extended network not work on the Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I am temporarily living in an area where I don't get very good Verizon service at my home, but I do at work and at school. Anyway, while at home Verizon uses US Cellular towers to provide me with cellphone service through their extended network. I have noticed that my Ipad doesn't show the extended network at all, and a lot of times while I am at home it either says searching/no service, or maybe 1 bar of Verizon (pretty much no service and when it is on extended network it says extended).

So is their extended network just through their phones or what is the deal with that? Thanks in advance.

2. Blackforge macrumors 6502

3. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Supposedly prepaid service doesn't work with the extended network

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I do.

----------

Damn, this sucks. I really don't wanna do a postpaid plan. :(

5. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yea. Sorry. There were other threads talking about it. That's where I got the info

6. wimac macrumors newbie

Extended area is supposed to work if you add your iPad to your existing Verizon Wireless account vs. signing up for data through the iPad itself. I opened a ticket with Verizon this morning.

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean I would have to do the more expensive post paid plan, where I can't cancel at anytime?

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

It should work. Log into MyVerizon and add the ipad cell number to the extender.

9. ckiggins macrumors 6502

10. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Login in to MyVerizon! You know your account site where your usage and pay your bill. From there go to My Services. You will should see network extender section to manage the device.

11. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i went insane trying to figure out how to get 4g in a 4g extended coverage area. i eventually returned it for a att model. cant believe its that easy to get a signal if its like how youre describing

12. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Am I unable to do this with my prepaid plan?

13. wimac macrumors newbie

I finally got a ticket opened with the networking team at Verizon. They confirmed that the iPad 3 (whatever you want to call it) has an issue and will not currently work in the Extended Network areas. Apparently there is something wrong with the way the provisioning is being updated on the SIM card. On Monday they told me they would be pushing a carrier update to resolve the issue but nothing yet.

As far as adding your iPad to your Verizon account, just give them a call, not contract or anything it just gets billed monthly versus auto debited from your credit card.

14. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

wimac, any update on this? We have our iPhones on AT&T but I bought my wife the 'new' iPad w/Verizon LTE and she's not been happy that she can't get any 4G coverage at work. According to the map, her work office is in an '4G LTE Extended' area. I've been reading from some people saying that this requires roaming, which requires being on a contracted plan, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Did they ever push a fix to you that worked?

15. maliu macrumors 6502a

If you choose the post paid option, you get extended network. Prepaid, no extended. When they told me that I chose to add to my monthly bill. No contract, still month to month.

16. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

That's my understanding as well. Sucks, though, because the prepaid plans included a 1GB for $20 option. With the post-paid (?) plans, we'd have to move up to a 2GB for $30 plan.

If you're thinking of going prepaid, know also that Verizon will botch things up if you actually want to use it as an occasional use thing. If you sign up for prepaid, then cancel it the next month, you can't then re-activate it again in the future. That's because the SIM becomes effectively unusable when you canceled it the first time. You'll need to go and buy a new SIM. Ridiculous.

17. cfs, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

cfs macrumors 6502a

There is a way to deactivate service and then activate it again with the same sim card. You jus can't let the card be inactive for 5 months or it will kill the sim.

See post 45 on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1351655&page=2

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You have it wrong.

If you are on POSTPAID and you want to skip a month you must call VZW and fully cancel the account and your SIM is killed. You can NOT suspend or skip a month on POSTPAID and you can NOT manage a POSTPAID account through the settings feature on the iPad. While there is no contract on iPad POSTPAID you can't stop using it without canceling the account and killing the sim requiring a new one.

If you are on PREPAID you CAN suspend for UP TO 5 months through the iPad itself between monthly purchases and still use the same sim & account.