does Vertex 3 has serious Power consumption problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsciel, Jul 17, 2011.

1. dsciel macrumors regular

i have tried to research about the power consumption issue about this SSD but not too much information about it. It is a fast drive but i m wonderful it will drain more battery compared to the original HHD. btw, I am using the macbook 13 2011 model. because i am planning to buy the 240gb model. thanks

2. Kraznoff macrumors member

I've been using it for about a month on a 2011 15" and I haven't noticed any decrease in battery life.

3. WiBu macrumors member

I seem to remember it being a slight issue with earlier firmwares, but I think that all got fixed up with an update months ago.

4. dsciel thread starter macrumors regular

did you update your firmware version though?

5. Kraznoff macrumors member

Nope. I'll check if there's an update available.

6. Philflow, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

Philflow macrumors 65816

The Vertex 3 has relatively high idle power consumption. If you want maximum battery life there are better options.

[​IMG]
    http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_3_review_240gb

[​IMG]
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6161&p=2

Many power measurements:
    http://www.ssdreview.com/review/com...3-240gb-25-inch-111,47/power_consumption.html

As you can see different websites come to different conclusions, because there are many ways to measure.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I seriously, seriously doubt switching one SSD for another would make roughly an hour of battery life's worth of a difference. That's just crazy-talk. These things don't draw that much power.

That battery test must be totally borked in its methodology.

One might want to note that fast SSDs can actually use even more power than a HDD, particulary on a system-wide level, since they're so high-performing. This allows them to get (much) more work done per time unit, and the CPU and its related subsystems (memory, misc. I/O) will work harder to feed the SSD with data.

The upside is that since one typically do not load the disk with I/O requests constantly, a SSD will allow the CPU to get done with its task quicker than a HDD would, and thus go into powersaving idle mode faster.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I have the Vertex 3 and get the full 7 hours of battery during average daily use (no gaming, video encoding, or watching Flash video obviously)

9. dsciel thread starter macrumors regular

from the review, seems like m4 is the best one?

10. blackbinary macrumors member

I also have a vertex 3, and haven't noticed a difference in battery time.
    I do some pretty heavy work though. It's possible that if there is a greater power consumption, it's being offset by the fact that the drive isn't active for as long.

11. Philflow macrumors 65816

The reviews clearly show there can be more than 1 watt difference. The total power draw of the MBP 13" can be around 7 watt if you turn down the brightness and disable bluetooth. If the total battery life is about 7 hours, then 1 watt less will result in ~1 hour more battery life.

Crucial M4 has lower idle consumption. If you want to reach max. battery life during low intensity use the M4 will do better than the Vertex 3.

I can confirm this myself, I got about 1 hour more with the M4 than with Vertex 3.

12. mark28 macrumors 68000

Tomshardware also showed huge difference in battery life between SSD. Noticeable the Intel X-25m was very easy on battery life.

I don't think this benchmark is wrong because I have seen the same in other benchmarks.