Does Vmware Fusion slow down mac os and windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Peagle08, May 20, 2010.

1. Peagle08 macrumors newbie

Since there are two operating systems running at a time, wouldnt that mean that it would only use half the ram per OS and slow both of them down alot?

2. irontony macrumors member

Yes you are correct.

Both OS's are sharing your system resources e.g. CPU and Ram.

You can specify how much VMware uses though.

I use VMware on my Quad core and I have no performance issues (remember I have 6GB of Ram)

However on my 13" MacbookPro because it is only dual core, and 4GB of ram, 1 core and 2GB per OS means there is a slight performace hit, but every day things like web browsing and emailing work fine.

I use my MacbookPro at work to help me support both OS's and it has been invaluable and has performed very well.

3. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

Further question

I seem to be noticing an overall slowness to my mac even after vmware isn't running. It just doesn't feel as snappy as before. Any thoughts?

4. simsaladimbamba

Nope.

But you could provide more information, like what Mac (sig?) with what Mac OS X version you run, what applications are open, what Activity Monitor has to say about CPU and RAM usage and how exactly the snappiness-less does expresses itself.

And how does that pertain to VMWare Fusion, even if it id not running? Did you check that?

5. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

iMac 27"
    10.6.6 / 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 / ATI Radeon HD 4850

As far as activity monitor... nothing is really standing out. I don't get it.
    What's even odder. The machine makes alot of noise like its using the processor? not sure. I have just noticed a sluggishness since the use of vmware has begun.

6. simsaladimbamba

What you hear is most probably the HDD making noises, during read or write times. The CPU hardly makes a noise, only its fan, but even at idle speed (1200 RPM) you barely hear it.
    Do you have enough free storage capacity? How many login items do you have? Is your RAM full?

7. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

plenty of storage capacity.
    login items : 8
    RAM
    Free: 60.6mb
    Wired: 288mb
    Active: 1.12gb
    inactive: 2.53gb
    used: 3.94gb

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960043&highlight=vmwarenetopt+zip

Check out this thread for more details on the resources VMWare uses and a way to get around that, it is complex, and I haven't tried it, so you are on your own. :cool: