Does Warcraft 3 (including Expansion) work good on mac os x?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by nerd0795, Sep 7, 2008.

1. nerd0795 macrumors newbie

I was recently planning on (Hopefully, if I'm lucky) getting my first mac, an imac. Though I'm wondering if Warcraft 3 and Warcraft 3 The frozen throne works good on a modern imac? Do they get the dreaded fatal (when the game closes saying FATAL ERROR MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ)?

Please forgive me if this does not belong here.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Don't know about FT, but RoC works fine on my iMac G5 and MacBook Core 2 Duo.

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

When I used to play it on the Mac, I'd occasionally get a crash on certain maps. Other than that, I never experienced any trouble playing the game.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I have both installed on my iMac (see sig) and it is totally playable. I have my settings turned up and no crashes at all.

I even use the map editor from time to time and left it running while I ate with the family and came back to editing my map with no probs.

5. imassents macrumors 6502

You don't use the trigger editor much do you ;) I can tell you steps to reproduce a crash if you like :D

The Map Editor is not Universal yet and hasn't been updated since 1.20d (same version as the PC one as far as I know).

The fatal errors are usually the result of drivers and/or configurations or bad hardware such as RAM. Just by getting a Mac you will not be immune to them if there are drivers/hardware issues.

On that note, I have about 7 PCs and 4 Macs that have no issues with fatal errors at all (now). One or two PCs had bad RAM which was replaced under warranty and I had an issue with drivers on my Mac (running Windows) that would cause fatal errors. It's just a pain in the butt to diagnose the exact problem.

6. IanC macrumors regular

The only thing you have to remember is to install FT before doing any updating, since one of the updates changes how files are sorted.

7. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I play on a MacBook under 10.5 with all the settings turned up to full and it plays great. I couldn't tell you about the map editor though.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Before you post about it crashing (and I'm sure you would) another thing to keep in mind is when updating, do the updates manually, do NOT download the "all in one" update as it has caused issues with many users.

Proof in the pudding? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=519063

Displays the work around.

Just a heads up/FYI