Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Anybody installed recent versions of Ubuntu Linux on their MBP 2017? Does the WiFi chipset inside the computers work under Linux? Please state if yours is 13" or 15" as I don' know if both models use the same WiFi chipset.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I would prefer native install of Linux. i.e. Triple boot system (Mac OS, Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux 18).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok. Sorry I can't help on this one. I've never done a native install of Linux on a Mac. But FWIW, VMware Fusion passes my WiFi connection through to the VM as a wired connection. Which you probably already knew anyway.

Good luck.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Ok. Sorry I can't help on this one. I've never done a native install of Linux on a Mac. But FWIW, VMware Fusion passes my WiFi connection through to the VM as a wired connection. Which you probably already knew anyway.

Good luck.

Thanks. Let's see what other users say about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anybody installed recent versions of Ubuntu Linux on their MBP 2017?
First thing, is that I have the opportunity to plug my MBP using ethernet, so I didn't need to download drivers onto a thumb drive but install directly.

## it's simple as .. connect to wired Ethernet:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
Then reboot and retest wireless

You may find this useful if you are not able to connect via ethernet, though its for my 2012 rMBP the steps detail how to download and install bcmwl-kernel-source
https://www.cberner.com/2017/12/03/installing-ubuntu-17-10-macbook-pro-retina-mid-2012/

Since I have a 2012 rMBP, these steps may not work, but suggest looking and posting on the ubuntu forums, they can be helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.