Does WiFi work under Ubuntu Linux on MBP 2017?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, May 20, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Anybody installed recent versions of Ubuntu Linux on their MBP 2017? Does the WiFi chipset inside the computers work under Linux? Please state if yours is 13" or 15" as I don' know if both models use the same WiFi chipset.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Are you asking about native installs of Linux on the Mac or in VM's?

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

I would prefer native install of Linux. i.e. Triple boot system (Mac OS, Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux 18).

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Ok. Sorry I can't help on this one. I've never done a native install of Linux on a Mac. But FWIW, VMware Fusion passes my WiFi connection through to the VM as a wired connection. Which you probably already knew anyway.

Good luck.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. Let's see what other users say about it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First thing, is that I have the opportunity to plug my MBP using ethernet, so I didn't need to download drivers onto a thumb drive but install directly.

## it's simple as .. connect to wired Ethernet:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt dist-upgrade
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Then reboot and retest wireless

You may find this useful if you are not able to connect via ethernet, though its for my 2012 rMBP the steps detail how to download and install bcmwl-kernel-source
    https://www.cberner.com/2017/12/03/installing-ubuntu-17-10-macbook-pro-retina-mid-2012/

Since I have a 2012 rMBP, these steps may not work, but suggest looking and posting on the ubuntu forums, they can be helpful