Does/will IOS 5 hurt your battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jul 5, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Does I for people on developers account and do you think when apple release it that it will hurt the battery life in a bad way?

I never have notifcations on so with the notifications centre how much will ir decrease battery life?

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

iOS 5 beta 1 had noticeably worse battery life.
    beta 2 greatly improved things. I can't really tell whether it's still significantly worse than iOS 4.3.3 or roughly the same.

I unplugged my phone when i got up today (6:30am, ... it's 2:06pm now - so, roughly 7 1/2 hours.) I made 2 Phonecalls, each roughly 5 Minutes.
    I'm at 91% battery now.

So, the standby battery drain is no issue with the current Beta. (beta 2)

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well I'm not a beta tester but can see from their reviews that the battery issue is not consistent across the board.

I'm looking forward to the polished final global release.

With great thanks to the testers !

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. shandyman Suspended

Beta 1 had a coupla days of crappy life, but was back to 4.3.3 after that, beta 2 has been perfect

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Your battery life will decrease exactly 15.2%. Seriously though, ideally, battery life should stay about the same, if only a little less. It's so hard to exactly measure because everybody uses there phone a little different. I recently went from about 25% brightness to 75%, and the battery hit is far less than I thought it would be, but your mileage will vary.

Apple would have riots on their hands if they released something to the public with the battery life of beta 1. I was having to charge my phone at least twice a day.

Beta 2 is much better and I have a feeling it will either stay the same or be ever so slightly worse. The best thing you could probably do is turn off the numeric display and just enjoy your phone. If you lose 5 or 10 minutes it's not the end of the world.

7. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Beta 1 my battery was fine, Beta 2 my battery is pretty bad.:mad:

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Beta releases have things like debugging symbols turned on so cannot be relied upon to gauge battery life, I'm sure the final release will have at least the battery life of 4.3.3.

9. duncs macrumors newbie

I'm having a nightmare with my battery, it now only lasts about 4 hours on Standby before being totally drained out.

I think it is searching for a data connection more too.

Tried turning off emails / location services and still no luck.

I'm running beta 2 on iPhone 4. Anyone else had a similar experience?
    The phone also gets really hot...like its working too much!