does windows 64-bit work on the new macbboks and MBP's?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dsr1205, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

so does vista and xp 64 bit work on the new books. does it come with the drivers? i heard the new mac pros had them.

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Bump. I'm interested in this as I have been thinking about giving Vista Ultimate x64 a try. If it sucks, then it's back to XP x86.

My main use here is gaming.

3. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Drivers for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition: NO
    Drivers for Windows Vista 64-bit editions: YES

From the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 (includes Mac OS X 10.5.2 and Boot Camp 2.0.3) that comes with a new MacBook Pro:
    If you have a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.​

4. Sptz macrumors regular

Erm... this is complete crap... so I have Leopard and a SR 2.4 MBP and I can't use Vista x64 because I can't update boot camp or boot camp drivers? ..

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Sounds like it.

I thought Apple were stupid for keeping the drivers on the installation DVD.

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Wait... So ONLY the new MBPs can run the 64-bit version of Vista? That's BS. Complete and utter BS.

We'll see Apple... OH WE'LL SEE!

7. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

It's worth trying the 64-bit Boot Camp 2.0.3 drivers on an older MacBook Pro. They might not work, but I'd bet they do...

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I tried running Vista Ultimate x64 last night, and when I popped in the Leopard DVD it didn't come up with option to install drivers (like it does when you insert in XP), but a simple right-click on the DVD -> explore -> bootcamp -> drivers (or something like that) and it installed fine.

I donno though, I went back to XP shortly after that. Didn't do much testing, but it seemed to work fine.

9. ecytang88 macrumors newbie

The Vista 64 drivers boot camp 2.0x driver will work for both MBP 2nd generation and the latest Penryn MBP.

My friend has brought a Penryn MBP last week and the Vista 64 also works for him.

I have installed Vista 64 drivers in my MBP 2nd generation. It is stable since I install it a few weeks ago and all the Vista 64 update could be done almost seamlessly. I can even play counter strike on it and the graphic looks good :).

However, the network ethernet and SCSI drivers are not compatable with vmware fusion at the moment (VMware cannot recognise them) so you have no internet connection effectively if you would like to run the boot camp Vista 64 partition via vmware fusion.

10. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Well, somethings off somewhere there. I run Vista 64-bit under Fusion, albeit from a VMDK, not a Boot Camp partition. VMware Tools definitely includes drivers for all the virtual hardware for 64-bit Windows, as once you're under VMware you're not using the real hardware.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Anyone with info about running 64-Bit Vista on a MacBook?

12. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I've been reading threads all over the place about this, seems to be legit. 64bit works with the new MBPs, time to pop in my install DVD...

13. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I have a Santa Rosa MBP bought November of last year. Where can I find these drivers at? Feel free to send me a PM if you can't say publically.

14. dannomac macrumors member

I've been thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro, and I was wondering if the Vista x64 drivers were included on the DVD that came with the computer. They are not on the Leopard release DVD.

Or are the drivers the ones that come with new Mac Pros?

15. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Well I've heard they are just the same ones that come with Mac Pros, but the new ones supposedly come with drivers for 64 bit Vista...I have yet to try it as I do have a new MBP, might be worth a shot just to help other people out.

16. ecytang88 macrumors newbie

Yes I agree with you.
    I have also tried to create a VM partition for Vista 64 and all the drivers work!! However, it is not the case when I use the Boot Camp partition with Vista 64.

17. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a black MacBook 2.4GHz, and I am in the process of installing Vista 64-bit on it.

To answer your question, yes, it does work on the new MacBook, but not without a little bit of massaging. The Boot Camp installer (setup.exe), if you try to run it directly, will say "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model".

I'll tell you what I did first, and then I'll tell you what I'd do now, if I had to do things all over again.

At first, I went into the "Boot Camp/Drivers/Apple/x64" folder on the disc, and ran each installer, minus the MultiTouchTrackPadInstaller. I don't think the order matters much, but I ran the BluetoothInstaller before the BluetoothEnablerInstaller, just because it seemed appropriate. WiFi can be enabled by running BroadcomInstaller64 in the Broadcom folder, Ethernet can be enabled by running MarvellInstaller64 in the Marvell folder, and the Intel Chipset can be enabled by running the Setup file in the Intel/Chipset folder. Also, as a precaution, I downloaded the latest graphics drivers for the GMA X3100 from Intel's site, but I don't know if that's going overboard or not. Sound can be enabled by the RealTekSetup file in the Drivers root, and I think that's about everything.

What you'll find after all this is that the media/brightness keys do not function. I'm guessing that the Boot Camp system tray utility that remaps these keys properly is what is installed by the Boot Camp installer, so I was looking for a way around that.

If you do a search on The Pirate's Den for "Apple BootCamp 2.0 Drivers (including new 64bit-drivers)", you'll find a .torrent available for the Boot Camp drivers that came with the Mac Pro. I ran the BootCamp64.msi installer there, and it ran an installer that re-installed just about every driver package, but it also installed the system tray app that enabled all the media/brightness keys. Nice!

So, if I had to do it all over again, I would start off by running the BootCamp64.msi installer on the Mac Pro drivers disk from the start, and see how the system behaves after running that. Then I'd go through and identify the missing drivers (I'd guess the Intel chipset would be one that wouldn't be installed properly...but I could be wrong) and install those packages from the MacBook drivers disk.

The only issue I'm experiencing now is I sometimes have a pop/crackle issue with the RealTek drivers. I'm trying to figure out a workaround, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was due to me installing so many iterations of the sound drivers....we'll see.

Anyway, good luck! Hope this information helps.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I assume this would work on all the SR MacBooks...

Whoa boy - my reason for hating PC's (to much "stuff" to do to get it working) and loving Macs...

Not worth trying to get at that extra 1 Gigs RAM... will go for the 32-bit Vista.

Thanks for your extreme efforts!

19. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

As a follow-up to my previous post...I went through the process of installing Leopard and Vista again side-by-side because I originally couldn't get Leopard to see my NTFS partitions properly. So, here's what I ended up doing this time.

1. Reformatted the entire 250GB drive with Disk Utility by booting off the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with my MacBook 2.4GHz. I created 3 partitions: 1st partition was "Macintosh HD" that was HFS+ Extended (Journaled) and 80GB, 2nd partition was something like 72.38GB and was MS-DOS (FAT32) and I named it "Data" so that I could share files between Leopard and Vista, and the 3rd partition was 80GB and was also MS-DOS (FAT32) and I named it "BOOTCAMP". This is where you'll install Vista x64.

2. I installed Leopard on "Macintosh HD". After installation, if you try to use the Boot Camp Assistant to install Vista, you'll find that you're unable to do so because BCA requires the disk to have a single partition. No big deal -- reboot with the Vista installation disc in your drive, hold down Alt/Option to get the Boot Camp partition selector, and select the Vista install disc. Install Vista x64 on "BOOTCAMP". You'll have to format the partition using NTFS.

3. After installing Vista, download the Mac Pro Boot Camp drivers I mentioned in my previous post, and run the BootCamp64.msi installer to install the first wave of drivers for Vista x64. You'll find that every driver is added except the Intel chipset, video, and Ethernet. You can install the Intel chipset drivers from the Disc 1 of the Mac OS Install that came with your MacBook, in addition to the Ethernet drivers (see Marvell drivers in my previous post). For the Intel video drivers, also refer to my previous post and download them from Intel's website. Oh, and you'll likely want to upgrade your RealTek drivers to v1.88 on their site. (It still clicks for me on occasion, but I'm still trying to find a solution for that.) Now, all of your hardware should be supported within Vista.

4. If you created the "Data" partition to share between Leopard and Vista, format that using NTFS within Vista.

5. Install Paragon's "NTFS for Mac OS X" to add NTFS support to Leopard. This will allow you to read _and write_ files to your recently formatted "Data" partition.

6. Enjoy Leopard and Vista side-by-side with a partition to share between the two OS's.

If you have any questions let me know. So far, everything seems to be playing together very nicely for me....I'm very happy with this setup!

20. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

Regarding the crackle sounds you may hear from time to time, I saw some posts mentioning that upgrading the WiFi drivers helped. I decided to upgrade to the version of the Broadcom WiFi drivers (v4.170.25.12) included on the MacBook install disc (I also upgraded the Marvell Yukon Ethernet driver, but I don't think that was the culprit from what I read), and that seemed to clear up my crackle issues in Vista. w00t!