Does Window's Vista 64-bit make my computer slower?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OneFatality, May 27, 2009.

1. OneFatality macrumors newbie

Im thinking about installing Vista 64bit on my iMac.

I have 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory with a 667 MHz

Do you think my computer will slow down at all when i add Vista onto this IMac?

Thanks

2. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

If you're going to Boot Camp your iMac, it won't slow OSX down. However, if you're going to run it in Fusion or Parallels, then it'll slow you down a little.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 in Fusion on my MBP and it flies compared to Vista.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It won't slow it down. However, I would recommend upgrading to 4GB of RAM. Both OS X and Windows Vista see major speed increases when upgrading from 2GB to 4GB of RAM.

Edit: (Provided that the computer can take 4GB of RAM. Check online since I don't know what model you have.)

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Will you get Home Basic or Home Premium? I'm asking because only Home Premium will be able to take advantage of the full 4GB of RAM. Of course, Home Basic will still see 3GB. More RAM means faster performance.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

No, it will not slow it down at all.

It also kind of depends on what you're gonna be doing with your machine. Maxing out that RAM to 4 GBs will give you a big performance boost.