Does Windoze Vista still have that immitation dock feature??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anti-microsoft, May 18, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

It did in the Longhorn (LOL) Beta. Well, at least in screenshots.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm using Vista right now and I don't know what you're talking about. Was it on the bottom or on the side? The sidebar thing is for your widgets and it gets in the way, a lot.

Here's my review on Vista Business: It sucks. It doesn't network very well. And the Window Explorer crashes anytime something unexpected happens. This is the first time I've had to use a WinTel machine (cause of work) and it makes me miss my Mac so so much. Productivity is a thing of the past now that Vista is here!

But no wannabe Dock here. Just the good old Start menu/task bar crap (I miss Expose and Quicksilver SOOOO Much).

3. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

HAHAHA, LOL I think they couldn't afford to suck up more Hard Drive space.
    Macworld Magazine, says it takes up 10GB's of space! Before I start critisizing Vista, how much HD does Tiger take up??

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

OSX is 3 GB I believe.

Just wiped my drive of Vista and reinstalled XP Pro. I never thought I'd say this but man did I miss it. :p

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... :confused:

Do you mean the thing on the right side of the screen here:

[​IMG]

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

That's a Vista sidebar. It's not a rip-off of the OS X dock....it's a rip off of Dashboard. :p

7. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not refering to that, It's like a Mac OS X dock, EXACTLY THE SAME, but in windows, I've seen screenshots of the Longhorn Beta.

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

To the OP: That never was a part of Longhorn, and never will be a part of Vista. I believe that's Object Dock, a program you can buy for Windows.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but compared to Aero, I really miss the LH theme.

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Fixed large image-please use tag[/B]
    Thats not even Vista :p

12. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, when I still had a windows computer, I downloaded the Longhorn beta, and that "dock" was included.

13. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

MS never tried to copy the dock. they actually criticized it A LOT, and I downloaded every longhorn milestone, except for number3, and they never had any dock-feature whatsoever, so I think you just saw a 3rd party-app such as objectdock, aquadock, etcetc

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Just as an aside to this thread (and not meaning to hijack) but my XP Pro ran out of validations and when I called M$ to get them to reactivate it the woman on the phone refused. She advised me to purchase Vista instead. So yesterday I went shopping around to get Vista and every place I went to (about 12 retailers) all advised me not to get it, but to get XP Pro. They all acknowledged that Vista is "....too buggy.." and 3 of them even told me they have customers who have bought pc's with Vista pre-installed come back to buy XP Pro and have Vista removed.

15. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

as I said before, vista is rubbish it takes up TEN FLIPPING GIGABYTES OF HARD DRIVE SPACE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

The only detail I like about vista is the window fade effect when you close a window.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is done in some OSX apps, like Newsfire, but not many developers do it...

17. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

For that effect have a look at this haxie called Slider. It's ok, but tends to crash certain apps which can be put on the exclude list.