Does wireless charging also fast charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonekid87, Sep 20, 2017.

1. iphonekid87 macrumors newbie

I'm new to this whole wireless/fast charging. Is it possible to have a wireless charger that also fast charges your iphone?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Wireless charging is inefficient. A wired charger will always be faster...

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

It is possible (because Samsung has a fast wireless charger for their phones), but Apple seems to have not enabled this on the new iPhones. Initial reviews indicate that wireless charging is pretty slow on the iPhone, and that will probably not change in this generation, at least. Samsung has been using wireless charging for several years now, so they have it down pretty good. Apple is likely being conservative for now.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yes I was impressed how they had a whole series of phones catch fire due to bad batteries

5. fokmik macrumors 68040

6. matty.p macrumors 6502

They said there would be a software update that would enable higher speed wireless charging coming in the future as well.

7. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Apple are always a few years behind so probably not

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Unrelated to wireless charging, but ok. One cannot blame Apple for being conservative with the introduction of wireless charging to the iPhone, but there is not doubt Samsung is doing it better right now. And that's ok. Samsung does some things better. Apple does other things better. I have a Note 8 and multiple iPhones, so I have reason to enjoy them both.

9. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

I’ve dealt with wireless charging since the Lumia 920 and have always found it pretty underwhelming. It’s slower, typically the phone has to be perfectly set in a certain position on the charger, and you’re plugging a charger into your wall to charge your “wireless”phone, did you really cut back on any wires?

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

According to iPhone 8 reviews, you get 15% every 30 minutes . . .

11. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm not really that impressed with wireless charging either, but I do use it sometimes (mainly when I am at my computer desk and just want to top off my phone without fumbling for a cable). Of the three issues you mentioned (speed / position / not really wireless), I don't really agree with the first two. Samsung's fast wireless charging is actually pretty fast (not as fast as wired fast charging, but still pretty quick). Position isn't really issue as much as it used to be as I never have any problems getting it to start charging right away (S8+ and now the Note 8). The latter reason, however, i perfectly valid... until we have TRUE wireless charging, this is about as good as it's going to get. I'm glad Apple's finally in the game, but I'd agree it's all pretty underwhelming (and certainly not a selling point for ME).