Does Workout Data/Awards Transfer to New Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by toph2toast, Mar 29, 2018.

1. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. I tried my best to search the forum thread but couldn't find what I needed.

Anyways, I currently rock a Series 0 AW and decided to get the Series 1 while it was on sale. My most-used feature on the device is the activity tracking. The question I have is, do your historical workout data, awards, etc. transfer over to the new watch when you set it up? Or is this information lost when the old watch is un-paired?

My thoughts are that the information should transfer since I believe most of the data syncs to your iPhone, but figured I'd ask.

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The data is on the iPhone and in iCloud, not the Watch. Only current data is on the Watch and it will transfer when you unpair it.

3. Felix Bomar macrumors newbie

Once you pair the new watch with your IPhone, that IPhone will transfer the data it has.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Do not believe the Watch stores Activity History data. If so how do you view it?

5. toph2toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you say “current data” do you mean activity data for that day?

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yes.

7. JackieInCo Suspended

A few months ago, all the activity data just disappeared from my watch and the cloud. I had a backup from early the previous morning that I had done in iTunes. I restored the backup from iTunes to my phone but again, it was missing the activity data from the rest of the previous day and anything from the current day. As soon as the watch connected to phone, the watch filled in the missing activity data from that day and what was missing from the previous day. I have no idea how many days the watch actually stores but I know it's at least two.

When I restored my backup from iTunes, the watch didn't need to be paired again to the phone since it was already paired in the backup I had restored and so the watch didn't lose any data.

As a side note, I have also turned off health kit syncing to the cloud since this happened so it won't happen again. I have never trusted the cloud for backups and to this day use iTunes to backup my phone and iPads.