Does WoW need Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ainippe, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Ainippe, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Ainippe macrumors newbie

I have made up my mind to buy a rMBP to replace the Alienware laptop I have. I will only use it to play WoW on the odd occasion ie maybe a couple of hours a week when I travel. Otherwise I will use it as a proper laptop the rest of the time including travellling. I have a dedicated gaming PC at home.

Does the rMBP need Bootcamp to run wow properly? Or should I load the WoW (mac) version that is available? Excuse my ignorance - what is Bootcamp?

Regards

Nick:D

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Shouldn't have to

WOW comes for both Macs and windows, you may get slightly better frame rates under windows in bootcamp but for casual gaming on teh go I can't see it'll make enough difference to bother.

Bootcamp is having windows on your mac installed in a partition so you can boot into windows when you need it.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You may get a bit better frame rate under windows, but to state that you NEED bootcamp is a bit over the top.

Bootcamp is Apple's marketing term for a utility that partitions your drive and allows you to install Windows on a Mac.

4. leman macrumors 604

What Alienware laptop did you have, what rMBP are you going to buy and what settings/gamemodes are you going to play WoW under?

5. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I run WOW on my late 2013 rMBP (w/750m) in OSX and it runs just fine.

1680x1050. AA off, mix of medium to high settings. 50-70 fps in stormwind (depending on how many are around).