Does Xcode 4 from app store install over GM build?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Branskins, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

Just checking if anyone knows whether the App Store version (should be the same as the GM) installs over the GM already on my computer!

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't know as I don't see the point paying for the App Store version when I've already paid via my iPhone Developer account but I'd expect that it would: they will both have the same default install location.

3. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

That's the question

I don't know if the Mac App Store version will overwrite the downloaded version. In my case the Mac App Store version won't, as I installed Xcode 4 in a custom folder. Of course, the Mac App Store could search for the latest previously installed Xcode 4, find my custom folder, and install over that. But I doubt it.

Even when both the Mac App Store and the download from developer.apple.com use their default installation paths, I'm not sure they would overwrite. All of the Mac App Store apps I've downloaded so far install into the Applications folder, while Xcode 4 from developer.apple.com installs in the Macintosh HD/Developer folder.

4. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Xcode 4 did not install in my Application folder. But I don't know if that's because it found my other install?

The only thing that went to my Application folder was the "Install Xcode" installer. After installing it then launched my Xcode 4 version I had from my Dock. I just hope it installed correctly!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The developer tools don't normally install in /Applications so that is the normal, expected behaviour.

6. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

So after installing Xcode 4 and deleting the "Install" file, the App Store now has a button under purchases that says "Install" as if it hasn't been installed. Do they really want us to keep the install file??

7. dutchchilly macrumors member

Install the Xcode 4 and your Developers map will be renamed to Developers-old