Does yellow tint on 4S display mean it's defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luba, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2009
    My 4S display definitely has a yellow look to it, and it's quite clear when I have it side-by-side with my old 4. I read that the yellow can go away in time, that it burns away the glue, which means to me that the display has a sort of manufacturing defect. Others have said the display is simply color calibrated more towards yellow while the 4 is calibrated more towards blue. Well, I do see the blue tint in the 4, and the yellow in the 4S. I prefer the blue tint look, it also makes the gray look more "natural" in my opinion.

If the yellow is an indicator of defectiveness then I will return it, and I will I will get a brand-new 4S as it's within the 14 days of purchase. I wouldn't want a re-manufactured one. If the yellow is just a calibration issue, how can I calibrate it towards more blue? I rather not deal with the hassle of returning it if it's not defective, and I may get used to the yellow tint. So does yellow mean defective? Thanks for any info, feedback, or opinion on this!
  2. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    Last time this happened it was a residue from the manufacturing process, and went away after a few days.

It could also be that the screen is just warmer in color temperature. My wife's 4S looked distinctly more yellow than my 4. I don't think it's a defect, just a calibration change on Apple's end. They've done this before between generations of iPod touch.
  3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2009
    As Gloss said, it usually goes away after a few days. We boiught 3 iPhone 4S's here and mine had a real yellow screen and the other 2 did not. Now a week later it has a slightly yellow corner and the rest of the screen is as good as my old iPhone 4 (Still used by the daughter)