Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you see warmth/yellow band on bottom of screen or right side in Smart Keyboard mode

• Yes

Votes: 80 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 152 53.0%
  • Yes but its faint so.. whatever

Votes: 55 19.2%

• Total voters

poporange630

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
Is this still an ongoing issue?
Yes, I just swapped my iPad because of screen dark areas but the new one I got has uneven color temprature.
I use my calibrating device to do the testing. On the home button side color temprature is 6500K while the other side it's 6750K, causing a 4.5% difference and visually warmer on one side, colder on the other side. Now debating if I should go replace it again...

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Yes, I just swapped my iPad because of screen dark areas but the new one I got has uneven color temprature.
I use my calibrating device to do the testing. On the home button side color temprature is 6500K while the other side it's 6750K, causing a 4.5% difference and visually warmer on one side, colder on the other side. Now debating if I should go replace it again...

-- What device do you use to calibrate? I say exchange it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
All the iPad's displayed in the stores had a varying degree of a shadow above the home button in portrait - some more prominent then others. Most of them you could see only when looking at a pure white screen (which most people do not do). I am done playing the "lottery" as I am happy to have a dead pixel/dust particle free display which I find to be even more annoying then the slight shadow by the home button.

I have also come to the conclusion that this is just how they are manufactured, similar to the iMac and Cinema display bottom shadows in years past (google it). LCD perfect uniformity is impossible to achieve at the scale of manufacturing these displays.

If something stands out on your iPad and your unhappy with it, exchange it, but to find an absolutely perfect display is pretty impossible. See attached for my display (home button on bottom)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 11.14.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 11.14.06 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 308
Reactions: Stavros86

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
You can really check a screen for color and light disbursement by throwing it in a photo editor and enhancing it.

i-cdPvVDR-X2.png

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I see where your going with this, but to me its more of a naked eye examination. Due to the cameras internal exposure settings and the angle in which you take the photo, its hard to get a perfect picture of what it looks like in person, its just to give an idea.

For me the only visual issue I see is a slight shadow on the bottom near the home buttom, which all the display models at my local apple store had to a certain varying degrees.

Stavros86

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Today, I went back to the apple store and exchanged my iPad Pro 10.5.

Thankfully, the new device has no yellow tint at the bottom side, nor any other apparent discoloration or defect. The only thing is a tiny backlight bleed, at the lower left corner, which is only noticeable when the brightness set on full, in combination with black background/images.

Reactions: fraz76

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I see where your going with this, but to me its more of a naked eye examination. Due to the cameras internal exposure settings and the angle in which you take the photo, its hard to get a perfect picture of what it looks like in person, its just to give an idea.

For me the only visual issue I see is a slight shadow on the bottom near the home buttom, which all the display models at my local apple store had to a certain varying degrees.

Yes, I'm just pointing out that you can confirm why you see a shadow at the bottom via the enhanced photos. You can see the lighting pattern of the screen. Bottom falls of before the rest.
[doublepost=1500317204][/doublepost]
-- like taking a screen shot and then opening it in photoshop?

A screenshot will show perfect results every time, because its, well... a screenshot. LOL.

Must take a photo of the screen with a camera and then into photoshop.

CthrewU

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
IMG_6778.JPG

Blank white screen at full brightness. The best one I have come across in my 3 exchanges, no backlight bleed and no other screen issues other than the darker area towards the home button. Thinking its a keeper if I can continue to use it and not notice the dark area too much. FYI compared this to my iPad Air 2 screen and it too has a slightly darker tint to the screen near the home button.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
View attachment 708989

Blank white screen at full brightness. The best one I have come across in my 3 exchanges, no backlight bleed and no other screen issues other than the darker area towards the home button. Thinking its a keeper if I can continue to use it and not notice the dark area too much. FYI compared this to my iPad Air 2 screen and it too has a slightly darker tint to the screen near the home button.

Most seem to have this, just seems like how its manufactured......obviously some more severe then others...

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Yes, I'm just pointing out that you can confirm why you see a shadow at the bottom via the enhanced photos. You can see the lighting pattern of the screen. Bottom falls of before the rest.
[doublepost=1500317204][/doublepost]

A screenshot will show perfect results every time, because its, well... a screenshot. LOL.

Must take a photo of the screen with a camera and then into photoshop.

--- Didn't you see the question mark at the end? LOL.

tomd25

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
I just noticed a small scratch next to the home button on my 5 day old 10.5" and considered an exchange for a moment, but this thread and memories of a ridiculous number of exchanges of my last iPad (3) for screen tint issues made me think twice - the screen on mine is perfect so I think I'll stick with it and invest in a screen protector as the Smart Cover evidently isn't as protective as I hoped (or it came scratched).

Amazing device anyway. Such a huge leap from my last iPad in terms of day to day usefulness.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I just noticed a small scratch next to the home button on my 5 day old 10.5" and considered an exchange for a moment, but this thread and memories of a ridiculous number of exchanges of my last iPad (3) for screen tint issues made me think twice - the screen on mine is perfect so I think I'll stick with it and invest in a screen protector as the Smart Cover evidently isn't as protective as I hoped (or it came scratched).

Amazing device anyway. Such a huge leap from my last iPad in terms of day to day usefulness.

Yeah DEFINITELY don’t imo. Chalk it up to a Harry Potter scar and uniquely identifiable trait to yours in case it goes missing one day and one of your friends all of a sudden has a brand new 10.5 :D

tomd25

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah DEFINITELY don’t imo. Chalk it up to a Harry Potter scar and uniquely identifiable trait to yours in case it goes missing one day and one of your friends all of a sudden has a brand new 10.5 :D

Haha, nice way to think of it! It also prompted me to get a screen protector which I don't think I would have done (until it was too late ) otherwise, so every cloud!

Cheers

fraz76

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2017
Today, I went back to the apple store and exchanged my iPad Pro 10.5.

Thankfully, the new device has no yellow tint at the bottom side, nor any other apparent discoloration or defect. The only thing is a tiny backlight bleed, at the lower left corner, which is only noticeable when the brightness set on full, in combination with black background/images.

First 4 digit serial number?

poporange630

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
-- What device do you use to calibrate? I say exchange it.
They won't let me exchange again now saying non of the technicians can see the defact.
This iPad is purchased through Optus (in Australia), not directly from Apple Store.
I measured the screen uniformity using ColorMonki Display with DispcalGUI
Here's the result:
Capture.PNG

So this mesures 9 areas of the iPad display, first number is the brightness (cd/m2) second number is color temprature in Kelvin.
As we can interperate from the result, the area near home button, or the upper right corner has the warmest color temperature, which contributes to the yellowish uniformity problem.
Hope it helps.

Reactions: whg

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
They won't let me exchange again now saying non of the technicians can see the defact.
This iPad is purchased through Optus (in Australia), not directly from Apple Store.
I measured the screen uniformity using ColorMonki Display with DispcalGUI
Here's the result:
View attachment 709142
So this mesures 9 areas of the iPad display, first number is the brightness (cd/m2) second number is color temprature in Kelvin.
As we can interperate from the result, the area near home button, or the upper right corner has the warmest color temperature, which contributes to the yellowish uniformity problem.
Hope it helps.

-They won't? Maybe you should show them this so they can see that there is a defect.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I didn't notice yellow to begin with on my 2017 12.9" iPP but I did notice the shadowing vignette, was going to live with it. But I had used Settings/Display/color Temp to slide toward cooler and after yesterday's s/w update, this morning my screen is even, no shadowing and more cool than warm yellow.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I didn't notice yellow to begin with on my 2017 12.9" iPP but I did notice the shadowing vignette, was going to live with it. But I had used Settings/Display/color Temp to slide toward cooler and after yesterday's s/w update, this morning my screen is even, no shadowing and more cool than warm yellow.

If you're looking at it in standard portrait home button at bottom where are you referring to where that is?

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
If you're looking at it in standard portrait home button at bottom where are you referring to where that is?
Are you asking where the shadowing was? If so, it was a darker shadow on lower left, then lighter all areound the edges, portrait orientation, no yellow just a dark shadow. But after the update, it's gone now, brightness is even. Oh, and s/n starts with DLX.

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.