Does your 13' MacBook Air does this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacMartyr, Oct 4, 2014.

1. MacMartyr macrumors member

I just bought a 13' MBA and I've noticed the hinge is not as stiff as I'd expected. When the screen is open at about 110 degrees and I get up and move it, the screen sometimes tilts back to the maximum. Is this normal? I thought that the screen should stay at the angle at all positions.

It doesn't bother me too much, my only fear is that it's going to get progressively worse over time.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

This is something they can adjust at the store fairly easily (or you can adjust yourself) but it's a tricky balancing act.

What you're describing is pretty normal.

You want the hinge to be stiff enough that the screen doesn't flop around while you're using the computer, but loose enough that you can still easily open the laptop from the lid-closed position.

3. d0tn3t macrumors newbie

I've the same issue and I thought I should visit the service center

4. MacVibe macrumors regular

A floppy display is defective. If it is under warranty Apple should fix it.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Every Air I have handled does this if you grab it quickly or tilt it fast. It should be stable when set but it isn't near as tight as the pro's hinge.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

It can't be. Apple's goal was that you could open it with one finger... but the bottom part of the Air is much lighter than the Pro, so if they kept the same hinge tightness and you tried to open the Air with one finger, you'd only succeed in lifting the whole machine up and pushing it around.