Does your 2008 MP have a slight electrical humming noise?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

..by the power unit at the back of the machine - where the power cord goes in.

I happened to be switching out displays at the back of my MP today. Could hear the fan at the lower back portion of the machine (as normal). but this time could also hear a very slight electrical hum just by the power unit -- is this normal (the hum) does yours have this hum?

I never heard it before. guess my head was never that close to it when the MP was on the floor. but since i moved it to the top of the desk my head is closer to it when I switch out the DVI ports

Trying not to be obsessive. I'll run before the white coats turn up by the front door :D:D

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No it is not normal, get your PSU checked out or replaced.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

what could be wrong with the PSU ?

i read this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=463342

i agree with the following statements which best describes waht i'm hearing on my MP..

"hmmm, could anyone else possibly comment? I shall try to be a little more specific. the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the hard drives, but from where the power cable goes in and to the left of the ram slots. "

"I have a (very) slight hum coming from the power cord are, but I can only hear it if I put my head right next to it." -- exacto description IMO

BTW It aint coming from the front by the fan thats for sure (as mentioned by some posters from the thread). All i hear is a fan swoosh. no hums.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

whisper quiet

My early 2008 MacPro is whisper quiet...

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

stick your ear next to the power cord at the back. can you hear the electrical humm?

6. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

you have to really put your ear next to the power cord to hear it. if put my head at the other end (front) of the MP, I can't hear the hum :D

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Can't hear anything...

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Nothing...

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh? Mines completely quiet apart from the fan.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

*** shrug shoulders ***

whats the worst if its the PSU? i think it sounds normal. its not like loud or anything. i practically have to stick my ear next to the power cord to hear the noise

not worth worryng about compared to the fan noise of my 3870! unless of course the PSU melts my motherboard or explodes :eek:

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's why you have warranty and AppleCare, so should your mac melts, you'll be covered (assuming you didn't help it along the way):D

12. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

well, i seriously hope nuttin bad happens. cos i need ma MP to be working. thought i do have my MBP as back up. but aint the same as I wont be able to run my 3x 30" displays at once :p