Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Please do this test for me:

1. Download and install Google Earth
  2. Start Google Earth and enter an area and hit go. Then when it stops zooming in...
  3. Drag the window around your desktop

Does it stutter/stagger in a jerky-like movement or is it completely smooth? Please let us know which Graphics Card you have too.

I've just tried this at the Apple store and it was a jerky movement - it had a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 in it. I'm thinking maybe they're running old drivers - hence interested in what yours runs like.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I don't use Earth much, but is it downloading other parts of the map when you scroll around?

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Once you have entered an area and it zooms in, let it stop zooming in before moving it around. Just to be clear I mean drag the window around, not the 'area' inside the program itself.

Does yours stagger? If so which gpu have you got?

Just to add it does not stagger on my MBP.

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Well it's now happening on my MBP too! It's not constant tho, sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's laggy.

Please do post your results everyone :)

4870 owners - is it as quiet as the GT120? I've heard that ATI cards run hotter hense the fans run faster/noiser :confused:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Please do this test for me:

1. Download and install Google Earth
  2. Start Google Earth and enter an area and hit go. Then when it stops zooming in...
  3. Drag the window around your desktop

Does it stutter/stagger in a jerky-like movement or is it completely smooth?

2006 w/X5355 (8-core), 12GB RAM, 7300GT:

It's mostly smooth but it depends on what's turned on. 3D buildings makes it do the lag thing a little bit. Otherwise it's smoooooth. :) But usually I always have this in fullscreen mode so I never drag the window - except for this test.

Does Google Maps do it to you too?
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.51861,13.376144&spn=0.002693,0.006373&z=18

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
4870 owners - is it as quiet as the GT120? I've heard that ATI cards run hotter hense the fans run faster/noiser :confused:

It makes some noise when you first turn on the Pro, but then it is really silent. Overall I'm very impressed with how quite the 09 model is.

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Anyone else do this test on their 2009 MP?

It makes some noise when you first turn on the Pro, but then it is really silent. Overall I'm very impressed with how quite the 09 model is.

Thanks! In that case I think I'll be leaning more towards it :)

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006

Now is it the 4870's fan that makes the noise or does the 4870 make the Mac Pro fans runs fast upon startup? When I startup (or a for a short time coming out of sleep) my Mac Pro intake fan (the one right up front that you can see through the little holes) is the one I hear running at high speed. The 4870 might cause the fan to run at high speed, but that's what I hear and see the fan spinning very fast.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
The 09 models run hotter than the 08 and 06 models so the fans will be louder (if Apple is sane!) on 2009 machines.

It's still the same basic case and almost no effort was put into engineering a silent running system. If a Mac Pro system is running silent then it's almost always running too hot. Apple seemed to think this was important to people so the 06 machines (and maybe the 08 ones) had their SMC defaults set wrong in order to achieve this. People were all reporting how wonderfully quiet their macs were and at the same time their drives were hitting 45c to 55c (above the max operating temp), their RAM was running too hot, and probably their GPUs were as well.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Now is it the 4870's fan that makes the noise or does the 4870 make the Mac Pro fans runs fast upon startup?

I'd almost place money on it being the former.

The stock fans on graphics cards tend to be quite whiny
(obviously variations are possible).

The Mac Pro's own fans make a very different kind of sound.
Much more of a pleasant whirring when they are rotating fast.

Once you know the two sounds, quite easy to tell apart.

Incidentally, there is a curious difference between the 2600XT
and the 8800GT. The 2600's fan spins up fast during a reboot.
The 8800's fan does not. Rebooting is so much nicer with the
8800GT :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
It seems like it is the 4870 spinning up. I only hear it on a restart. I guess to better answer that question I would need to start up the Pro w/o the side cover on.

As for fan speed and noise I'm not sure about that. I have some high temps but the fans stay really quite.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
If you have a fast connection, Google Earth will be faster. If you have a slow connection, it'll be slower (obviously).

@Tesselator: my fan speeds are the default and all of my temps are well under 45 C.

About the fan-spin up upon startup - that's the GPU's fan.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Well it's now happening on my MBP too! It's not constant tho, sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's laggy.

Please do post your results everyone :)

Its real quiet, much more than the 1900xt and when I play games like Quake 4 or X-plane I do not even hear it going up in speed. I am not sure if the fan is so quiet I do not notice the RPMs going up or if it is much more efficient that it generates less heat.

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
If you have a fast connection, Google Earth will be faster. If you have a slow connection, it'll be slower (obviously).

We're not talking about the speed of Google Earth getting details from the web, we're talking about the OS handling it's window when you drag it around your desktop.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
@Tesselator: my fan speeds are the default and all of my temps are well under 45 C.

What temps are those and what Mac is it? Anyway I notice many exceptions for various reasons but I was commenting on a general trend I noticed over the past 3 years gathered from reading forums and from operating my own system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.