Does your 3G signal goes up and down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eternal 28, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

When I am at home my 3g signal will go from 4 bars down to 3,2,1 and go back to 3. Does your signal on your iphone 4 act like this? I have a 3g next to it and it stays on 4-5 bars.

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

My bars completely disappear. Just reads "AT&T" for a minute or two and has no service. When I do have service, I'll have 5 bars. This happens everywhere, not just my home. Happens with and without my bumper and other cases.

3. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

Yeah my iPhone 4 does the same thing. I thought it was because we just got 3G service here in the Little Apple (Manhattan, KS). Our 3G service is still in the "testing stage" according to the customer service rep at the local AT&T store. Supposed to be "live" 3G August 16th.

4. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Mine does that too regardless of whether I'm holding the phone. I just got a 3G microcell, so now my bars vary from 2 to 5 for no apparent reason. Regardless of this peculiar behavior, I have yet to have a dropped call.

5. firewood macrumors 604

All the time, between 5 bars and 1 to 2 bars, without my touching the iPhone. I figure the phone is getting switched between cell towers or frequencies when the closest or best one gets too busy.

There's also a huge difference in one office building from just moving a couple dozen paces down the hall. I had to remember where I'm standing if I wanted to make or answer a call with my 3GS.

6. Eternal 28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I assume this is normal behavior, I guess I will cancel my genius appointment tomorrow than.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Ever since the 4.0.1 update with the more "accurate" bars, the signal tends to visually fluctuate more often.