Does your 3GS music cut out when in a car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jul 4, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

My music cuts out when I'm moving around quickly (in a car/motorcycle). It seems like the faster I go the more it cuts out. Does this happen to anyone else? Should I try to exchange it?

2. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. andrewbush macrumors newbie

Are you talking about the music actually cutting out or something interfering with the music. My iPhone 3GS sometimes causes interference with the speakers in my car so I usually put the phone in airplane mode while I'm driving. This solves my problem.

4. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The music stops playing for a second and then resumes. There's no interference sounds.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Are you accidentally triggering the shake-to-shuffle action?

That can be disabled in the iPod preferences, or at least I think that's where the option is.

6. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Hmm. I've been using my iPhone 3GS a lot more for music in my car via Bluetooth and haven't had a problem with it yet.

7. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

My shake to shuffle is always off.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Is your cable securely connected or maybe faulty?

Would try moving the cable around while connected to 3gs and car/bike. Would think the faster you are going the more the wire will move and trigger that spot. Had plently headphones like that.

That's if you mean it cuts out as in sound but the music is still playing.

9. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

It happened again a few times just now on my way home before posting this message.
    I did what OneMike suggested, but it's still cutting out. I wiggled the headphone cable/jack in every which way, but it still worked, no sound cut out. It seems to me like the iphone is working too hard when switching cell towers. I don't think it's a faulty headphone cable. Will Apple/AT&T exchange my iphone for a new one?

11. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

UPDATE: I exchanged my iphone. The genius said that since he couldn't reproduce the problem in the store he would take my word for it and swap it out. All he did was shake the phone for a while to see if the music would cut out.

SO... if any of you want to swap out your iphones, you know what to do;)

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Are you using a 1/8th jack to play the music. If so it's the cord. Those cords are terrible. I have to buy a new one about once a month. I would be surprised if it was anything else.

Edit: I see you've swapped your phone. I bet the problem will persist. It sounds like a common 1/8th cord issue. I've also noticed that the headphone jack itself is pretty weak. It's far more likely that my iPhone will cut out with the same cord than my iPod Classic.