iPad Pro Does your 9.7" IPP display flex, ever so slightly?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iregret, Apr 14, 2016.

1. iregret macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if this is normal.

Compared to my iPad 3, my iPad Pro feels soft.

The rainbow effect doesn't "stick" but I don't want problems later on. I'll be using this for note taking daily. For all I know, with this new display, this is acceptable behavior.

I did my best to capture it.

Thoughts?

2. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

The displays from the iPPs are softer embedded than on the older iPads (see iFixIt), maybe because of the bigger mechanical pressure from the pencil usage. My iPP 12.9 "breathes" a little and you can hear the air coming out the openings when you push it. But no "rainbow effect" so far...

3. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to create a similar effect on my iPhone 6+ and iPad 3. I had to push way harder than I'm comfortable with to get the same result.

I mean, I can strive to write lighter, but writing and resting my palm on the display causes the "rainbow" warping effect.

Maybe this display just flexes more?

4. Sheza, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

On iPad Pros, I am happy to report that the flexing is far improved. I do get a bit of a rainbow effect, but only in certain areas along the right edge, and rather than very pronounced spots, it's more like a rainbow style shimmer that is more spread out. And I have to press more firmly on the display to elicit that.

Perhaps your display is extra-weak? Have you tried pushing down on the right edge (using your fingers on the back of the iPad)? How bad is it? Don't use a huge level of force like you're gonna break the thing, just some heft. If it's really bad and noticeable then I would say you have been unlucky in the display lottery.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I put a tempered glass screen protector on mine no flex at all here.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

With enough pressure all of the iPad displays will flex.

"Thin" means sacrifices.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I've had both Pro's and the Air 2. The Air 2 had a ton of flex, the 9.7" pro is less and the large pro is the sturdiest feeling.

When using the Apple Pencil on the 9.7" you can see some distortions when pressing harder, but it isn't detrimental IMO.

8. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wondering if it's less prone to flex if it's in a rigid case. That being said, it is on a flat supportive surface in the video.

For those with screen protectors, which one did you go with and how did it affect useability? Specifically the pencil use/feel and light reflection.

Thanks for the feedback! It may also be more noticeable since I have a desk lamp 8 inches from the display when I'm taking notes.

9. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Yup, totally normal.

10. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Yah if I press firmly on my Air 2 display it distorts but never in normal usage.

11. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I broke down and bought the apple case and keyboard for it. The flexing seems to be minimized but it's still there. The Apple geniuses said its the app. Hahaha, riiiight. I showed them the exact same app on my iPad 3, not distorting. Then they said I'm pressing too hard and should use procreate.

Next he launched procreate and showed me how to shade a drawing. LOL. Well no ****, if you hold the pencil sideways and don't actually press on the screen, it won't do it. Finally he told me not to press so hard.

So, a giant waste of my time. 90 minute drive there and back, 30 minute wait for my prearranged appointment and another 30 minutes to fetch my prepaid keyboard and case.

I wasn't rude in any way. I'll try to write lighter, but you literally press the pencil harder to change the drawing effect.

I hate dealing with people. BUT, if it does get worse, I'll throw a fit about it. The fact is, I'm not pressing that hard at all and then to tell me it's the app when the effect is a physical attribute makes me question the genius I'm talking to.

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I've seen this both on my 9.7 and the 12.9 I had before it (and the Air, and my iMac, etc, etc). It takes quite a bit of pressure to do it, but it is there. To get a completely rigid screen requires a lot of structure behind the screen. Apple did something like this with the 6s so that force touch wouldn't get completely out of whack. But to add it to the iPad would also add more weight than it did with the 6s.

I notice it more with the iPad because of how much pressure you can apply on the screen that it will register is quite a bit.

13. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I feel like this is a hoax to get me to break my iPad...

14. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Seams pretty normal, pushing down on the new thinner iPads will cause a "rainbow effect" as you are distorting the Liquid Crystal Display, (but it's nothing to worry about) unless you are pushing really hard; casuing a cracking noise or a real crack in the sreen.
    All LCD displays have this, try touching a computer monitor, TV, or even Apple's iPhone 6s, or other iDevices... they all do it. It just depends on how hard you push. The iDevices are made to be pretty durable, but if you are worried, just call Apple and they'll help. :)

Kal.