Does your case *cause* scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Sep 29, 2008.

?

Does you case scratch your phone?

1. Yes, the case has scratched/damaged my iphone

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No scratches from the case

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Take your OCD medicine and shut up.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

About a year ago, a story circulated about a belkin case which actually ended up causing scratches on the iphone. They were apparently pulled from the shelves. However, I got a Speck pixelskin case(which gets fantastic reviews on Apple website) for my iphone and I swear the iphone went into the case absolutely blemish free. I pulled it out yesterday and discovered a small area where the glossy part had been ground away. It's essentially the size of a speck(perhaps that where the case got its name? lol) as well as a hairline mark on the chrome. Not a great big deal I suppose except I bought the case to prevent scratches obviously -- not cause them. I can't really figure out how a soft silicone case could have caused a scratch except that perhaps some grit got in between the flexible silicone and the phone surface and it moved around. It's not like there's grit in my pockets however.

Does anyone have a case for your iphone that you suspect actually caused scratches?

2. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I had the Griffin Technology Elan plastic case with the leather on the outside and it scratched my iphone and left little small for lack of a better word
    "dents" I have since changed cases and now I use the ifrogz case, it rocks!! It's a shame that you spend 30 bucks for something to protect your iphone and then ends up scratching it!!:(

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

My case doesn't cause scratches but it has made me drop my phone when removing it to answer the phone. So I only use it when I have to (no pockets for example).

4. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I believe that all cases, with the exception of a case that would theoretically have some kind of velvet lining, cause scratches. Cases are not air tight, and therefore trap dust underneath them. The dust then rubs against the delicate surface of the device and scratches result. I wouldn't use a case if I weren't sure that I will one day drop my iPhone.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

My buddies 1st gen slider also scratched his all to hell... better to stay nekkid

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Since I've gotten used to carrying my phone in my Jean Pocket I haven't noticed any scratches on my iPhone at all. I just had to remember not to put change and my key's in the pocket with the phone. :)

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Jeans are actually your iPhones best friend. It always looks the best when I wear jeans and carry my iPhone without a case.

9. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

What about the copper rivets just above the pocket? :)

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Use the opposite pocket... the side without the 5th pocket ;)

11. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Is that a remark about my fashion sense? :D

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I keep mine in my left pocket. No problems at all.

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My Incase Protective Cover did scratch my first iPhone 3G's chrome bezel, but since my iPhone was replaced, I have been using an Incase Slider, and the new iPhone is unscratched.

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, but after repeatedly taking the case on and off will scratch it, its just the nature of the beast.

15. jcapz macrumors member

Using the black incase slider for the white iphone and so far it has been great.....no scratches at all even after taking the phone every other day or so just to wipe dust away....I'd recommend it to anyone but at the same time there are always some people who have a huge problem of taking it off as well

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

odd - this is exactly the case that DID scratch my phone up.

(check the chrome ... I'm pretty sure your phone has plenty of hairline scratches now too)

17. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

this is exactly the reason i dont have a case on my phone. I bought a speck hardshell case for my macbook and the case scratched it ALOT, which is exactly why i bought the case! i was VERY mad. (i know it was for sure the case, because my boyfriend got his macbook around the same time as mine and mine was way worse than his.)

18. jcapz macrumors member

just checked....no hairline scratches on the chrome or the phone....i heard some cases they sent out were defective and that they would send new ones that didn't fit right so maybe thats the case with alot of people getting scratches and all.