Does your home button have this problem?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvinc, Aug 30, 2010.

1. calvinc macrumors member

My iPhone 4 home button is not responsive if I press around the edges at the top and bottom.

But it works fine if I press the left and right edges.

Am I nitpicking? Should I return it? I already have a screen protector installed. Thank you.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Its supposed to work when you press the center.
    I dont think it was meant to work when you press the sides or whatever you OCD about:)

4. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Yes it works when I press the center. But sometimes I accidentally press a bit off center and the click won't register. Is the home button supposed to work at all angles? Thanks.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Wow and I thought I was crazy about my toys

6. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Sorry:eek:... This is my first iPhone. I am not sure if the home button is meant to be pressed in the center only or if it's supposed to work at any angles.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

Technically, its ment to be pressed only within the square, so your phone seems to be functioning within design.

8. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Mine works from all sides, but you should think of that as a bonus, Apple helps your aim get better ;)

9. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Technically its meant to be pressed when you press on it. The square is just an icon letting people know what the button does. The mechanism is bellow the whole button.

[​IMG]

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Haha, that's the same photo I was going to post from google, instead I went the smaller image. The one you posted does show off the mechanism better.

11. xmarcuswildx macrumors 6502

Yes I had the same issue with my phone, does it also seem to wiggle around alot (it shouldn't) ... I took my phone to the apple store and showed them and had a replacement the next day.

12. BobHail macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 home button is loose and so are the other buttons, so it sucks, but I´m too tired to take it back, ´cause it works though.

My 3G and 3GS buttons were tight as... ;)

13. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Just went to the Apple store. The genius tested her phone and said her was not very responsive near the edge as well. So she didn't give me a replacement.

I tested the demos. Half of them were very responsive regardless where I pressed it. They felt 'clicky'.

The other half were just like mine. They were a bit 'mushy' and not responsive if not centre-pressed.

Interestingly, all iPads and 3GS were very responsive as well.

Seems like quality control on the home button on the iPhone 4 is a bit off.

14. Amino Man macrumors 6502

My home button is flush with one side of the screen and sunken on the other side. I have to admit, it bothers me a little bit, but I just can't get myself to walk in an Apple Store and tell them because I think they'll just think I'm an OCD freak who's never going to be happy with anything they give me.

15. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Wow funny you made this topic today too. I have the same problem and used the same term, "mushy"

16. CC424 macrumors regular

I just took mine back for the same issue and they replaced it for me!

17. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

I will try another apple store tomorrow. My button works only half of the time even if I press slightly off center. I don't think I am OCD. I could care less if the back is slightly scratched because it doesn't affect my experience. But the home button actually serves a purpose. It should be more accurate than that.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I tested mine, and find I have the same behavior. However, I don't think I've ever had this problem in my daily use.

19. calvinc thread starter macrumors member

Lol it's funny because I don't even use a case. So I don't think I am OCD.

20. BadMoon macrumors 6502

LOL! Are you for real?

21. Johns12 macrumors regular

My home button did not work correctly, plus my battery would drain very fast. Took it back to apple and they replaced the phone. The new one has a good home button and a very good battery. Now if we could only fix the proximity problem.

22. sic2five macrumors member

23. Johns12 macrumors regular

I don't understand what amazes you. My home button would not consistently click. Brought it to the Apple genius, he pushes the button and says ("that's not right"). He goes into the back room to check the phone, comes back in about 2 minutes and says "I'm giving you a new phone. That one has multiple problems".

Why does that amaze you?

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

No problem like that with mine.