Does your intel iMac make crack/snap noises?

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I swear Im not imagining things, but whenever I'll wake the iMac computer from sleep and start using it, it makes periodic little crack/snap noises once in a while.

Is this thing sealed tightly? is this normal? :confused: whats going on here

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Are you using your iMac while using Rice Krispies? ;)

No, no such noises with my Intel Mac (MBP). Any 'cracks' I hear, I'd guess they were electrical discharges? Is the power cable securely plugged in at the back?

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
whooleytoo said:
Are you using your iMac while using Rice Krispies? ;)

No, no such noises with my Intel Mac (MBP). Any 'cracks' I hear, I'd guess they were electrical discharges? Is the power cable securely plugged in at the back?
haha no. It sounds like the case or around the screen..

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
No, no cracks here. The fans do whoosh briefly, and the superdrive takes a brief whirl (even if there's no disk in it), but nothing like snapping on my 17-inch iMac.

hanzepans

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
Same here...

Yes, I hear the same cracking/snapping sounds from the casing every once in a while. It seems to have something to do with the imac slowly warming up during use. It seems to be quite common. I also had exactly the same thing with my older G5 imac, so there seems to be not too much to worry about.

Hans

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
hanzepans said:
Yes, I hear the same cracking/snapping sounds from the casing every once in a while. It seems to have something to do with the imac slowly warming up during use. It seems to be quite common. I also had exactly the same thing with my older G5 imac, so there seems to be not too much to worry about.

Hans
thanks man, i just wanted to make sure. cheers

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I never heard it from mine. The fans seems to be giving off a constantly low humming though. Guess that´s normal, nothing is dead quiet.

djondo

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
same here

mi IMAC makes the same squealing noises form time to time. but it does it while the im using it as well as when it wakes up