Does your iPhone 3GS have a rattle sound?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecoolone1, Jul 16, 2009.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I just noticed by tapping the back of my iPhone 3GS White on top by the camera lens it makes a rattle sound. You don't even have to tap it hard. When I tap the middle and the bottom of the phone, I don't hear a rattle.

Do you have this problem? and if so, is it serious?

2. The General macrumors 601

The camera has a piece that is free floating. The rattle sound is normal.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I haven't notice any rattling as of yet; even when I'm doing "figure 8's" during my use of maps.....:cool::cool::cool:

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Is the ringer switch making the rattling noise? Hold the switch and shake and see if it makes a sound.

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

6. BNZ1 macrumors regular

My 3G developed a small rattle so I had it replaced.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. Number3 macrumors newbie

My 3GS rattles as described (when I tap top near camera). Took to apple store and they said it's normal. I hardly believe that apple would knowingly make and sell a product that does this. I have also seen 3GS iphones that do not rattle like this. Needless to say, after quite a long debate with the genius bar, they are replacing my phone.

9. mark34 macrumors 6502a

If you guys are seriously talking about the "rattle" that I think you are.... yeeesh.. I literally have to tap my camera dead on to force a minute sound... I had never noticed it and i am sure I never will.. I am very very picky about creaks and rattles... At least on my 3GS, this does not count as a rattle.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Mine rattles a bit, but I'm not worried about it.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its the autofocus camera component.
    Mine does it as well. Its no big deal. Ill take the rattle for a clear picture. :)

12. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I noticed mine rattling the other day while my 3-month old was shaking it, so I'm taking the kid to the hospital for a replacement.

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You should probably tell them about the high-pitched whine too. :D
    It also seems to be discharging some liquids.

14. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

/thread

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I wish that were true (about the end of the thread!). This is probably the fourth such thread since the launch of the 3GS and looks like it could be this year's "only one speaker" thread!

16. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

it seems to be the "metal" that surrounds the camera & ear phone jack, if you shake the phone and get the rattle, place a finger on these two spots and it will stop rattling. Annoying but not end of the world as I can only hear it when shaking the phone.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How about not shaking the phone by your head?

Use it like a normal person and it probably won't be noticable. AFAIK there's no apps that require you tapping the top of your phone while holding it by your ear.

18. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I just asked if it was "serious". I didn't know if it was or else I wouldn't of posted this thread. I would say more but your sig explains it all :)

and I also don't "shake it". I noticed it by laying it down on the table and I heard a rattle so I tapped the top part and heard that it's only on top.

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/06/25/the-iphone-3gs-rattle-tale-of-a-manufacturers-defect.html <<<< perfect example.

19. equlizer macrumors regular

I have a small rattle sound too but figured out what it was. Hold down the power button lightly (dont push it all the way down) then try and shake it. My rattle went away:rolleyes: I guess its a semi loose power button:apple: