Does your iPhone 6/6+ auto reloads Safaris tabs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KingArthurVI, Sep 27, 2014.

1. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I'm looking to upgrade from a 5s to a 6 provided I can sell it at a good price, but one thing I absolutely hate on the 5s is the constant tab reloading due to low RAM. Since the new iPhones have 1GB of memory as well, I just need to hear it from you people: do your iPhones auto reload the Safari tabs? :(

2. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Yes.

3. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

Its not usually caused by low RAM, but by RAM optimisations in iOS. The same thing would happen with 2GB unless this was rewritten.

4. iphone3gnj macrumors member

Yes. It also reloads apps that are not the 2-3 most current. It's the same thing as the iPad Air. My 5 never did this with Safari. I'm tired of hearing it's not a RAM issue. It's definitely a factor.

5. yezza macrumors regular

My 5 always did too. Just sold it and waiting on my new phone (which I expect to need to reload tabs - but I'm ok with that).

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well if they added more RAM, I'd hope they'd rewrite the optimisation software in iOS. It would be ridiculous to have tab refreshing because the system is only optimized to utilize 1GB when the phone has 2.

7. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

It does indeed happen. Sometimes it even reloads after just having been to the home screen. BUT... who cares? With today's internet connections a reload takes around 2 seconds. Before I have had time to say "****, another reload" the page is already reloaded.

8. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

As far back as I can remember, all of my iPhones have done this. I'm not sure if it's a RAM issue or something that Apple has decided to do regardless, but it's always bugged me. Swiping back on a web page also does a reload. It would be nice if they attempted to keep some number of pages cached (and it doesn't need to be cached in RAM - why not store them on the other storage?). Aside from waiting for a page to reload (which can be a little while when you're not using WiFi), I don't like that it's eating up my data utilization with my carrier.

9. KingArthurVI thread starter macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Yes I only have 1GB of data per month so that's definitely a concern for me since I browse a lot when commuting back and forth. My brother has a Nexus 5 and his Chrome tabs never reload themselves during normal usage, period (unless he starts doing something more intensive and switch back). I'm second-guessing my decision to buy the 6 since most of the features are already on my 5s including time-lapse and slo-mo, exposure control etc :confused:

10. nawaf095 macrumors newbie

I finally nailed it!!!!!

Simply (Reset All Settings)!! will fix the problem. :cool::cool:

i did have this problem on both my iPhones 6 and 6+. they just won't handle 3 taps!! now they both have 7 taps with no problem.

Resetting all settings will NOT delete any media or files from your iPhone.
    Do it, it is guaranteed.

Regards and enjoy

11. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

12. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Web pages seem to bounce up and down more on the 6+.

Annoying if you click to quick!!

13. lemoncola macrumors newbie

Anyone have iPad Air 2? That has 2gb. Does it reload?

14. WashupDawg macrumors regular

If you read the various posts in the iPad forum you'll learn that it DOESN'T reload tabs.

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

No. It DOES reload tabs, just not as often.

16. BlazingGold macrumors member

I've done that and have restored phone as new through iTunes. Doesn't fix anything in regards to the reloading

17. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

I think people need to stop associating the safari tab reloads with lack of RAM, this was something more of a myth and not a fact.

Its the way Apple has designed iOS and hardware blend, I have the iPad Air 2 and it too reloads the safari tabs after x amount of time (x = undefined amount of time as I did not measure it).

Most recent/current apps are prioritized with full performance regardless the amount of RAM there is available. (I am not an expert in the deep technical detail level of analyzing the OS and hardware so this is my prediction).

For as long as I can remember, the reloading of the tabs has always been associated with lack of RAM, from users to blog sites all over the web.

18. HotIce macrumors regular

My 5S reloads certain apps after a certain period of time. It's an optimization to increase battery life and the speed of the phone. Why is auto reload bad anyway? Depending on what site you're on, you'll get to see the newest content without having to lift a finger.

19. jt.syrja macrumors newbie

jt.syrja

Or you'll get to see an empty forum post window or web form after visiting other safari tab or even after replying an imessage.. This happens way too often for me!!

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Not that much no, it works well with just a few tabs open, but for some reason when I visit gamespot.com on my Plus, often it crashes the page in Safari and says "reloading" or itll just actually crash the spring board on my phone, its been only happening from this one website which makes me believe it is the website and not the device itself, not sure though