Does your iPhone 6/6+ auto reloads Safaris tabs?

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm looking to upgrade from a 5s to a 6 provided I can sell it at a good price, but one thing I absolutely hate on the 5s is the constant tab reloading due to low RAM. Since the new iPhones have 1GB of memory as well, I just need to hear it from you people: do your iPhones auto reload the Safari tabs? :(

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm looking to upgrade from a 5s to a 6 provided I can sell it at a good price, but one thing I absolutely hate on the 5s is the constant tab reloading due to low RAM. Since the new iPhones have 1GB of memory as well, I just need to hear it from you people: do your iPhones auto reload the Safari tabs? :(
Yes.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Its not usually caused by low RAM, but by RAM optimisations in iOS. The same thing would happen with 2GB unless this was rewritten.

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Yes. It also reloads apps that are not the 2-3 most current. It's the same thing as the iPad Air. My 5 never did this with Safari. I'm tired of hearing it's not a RAM issue. It's definitely a factor.

yezza

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Yes. It also reloads apps that are not the 2-3 most current. It's the same thing as the iPad Air. My 5 never did this with Safari. I'm tired of hearing it's not a RAM issue. It's definitely a factor.
My 5 always did too. Just sold it and waiting on my new phone (which I expect to need to reload tabs - but I'm ok with that).

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Its not usually caused by low RAM, but by RAM optimisations in iOS. The same thing would happen with 2GB unless this was rewritten.
Well if they added more RAM, I'd hope they'd rewrite the optimisation software in iOS. It would be ridiculous to have tab refreshing because the system is only optimized to utilize 1GB when the phone has 2.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
It does indeed happen. Sometimes it even reloads after just having been to the home screen. BUT... who cares? With today's internet connections a reload takes around 2 seconds. Before I have had time to say "****, another reload" the page is already reloaded.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
As far back as I can remember, all of my iPhones have done this. I'm not sure if it's a RAM issue or something that Apple has decided to do regardless, but it's always bugged me. Swiping back on a web page also does a reload. It would be nice if they attempted to keep some number of pages cached (and it doesn't need to be cached in RAM - why not store them on the other storage?). Aside from waiting for a page to reload (which can be a little while when you're not using WiFi), I don't like that it's eating up my data utilization with my carrier.

Reactions: Todd36

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As far back as I can remember, all of my iPhones have done this. I'm not sure if it's a RAM issue or something that Apple has decided to do regardless, but it's always bugged me. Swiping back on a web page also does a reload. It would be nice if they attempted to keep some number of pages cached (and it doesn't need to be cached in RAM - why not store them on the other storage?). Aside from waiting for a page to reload (which can be a little while when you're not using WiFi), I don't like that it's eating up my data utilization with my carrier.
Yes I only have 1GB of data per month so that's definitely a concern for me since I browse a lot when commuting back and forth. My brother has a Nexus 5 and his Chrome tabs never reload themselves during normal usage, period (unless he starts doing something more intensive and switch back). I'm second-guessing my decision to buy the 6 since most of the features are already on my 5s including time-lapse and slo-mo, exposure control etc :confused:

Reactions: Todd36

nawaf095

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
I finally nailed it!!!!!

Simply (Reset All Settings)!! will fix the problem. :cool::cool:

i did have this problem on both my iPhones 6 and 6+. they just won't handle 3 taps!! now they both have 7 taps with no problem.

Resetting all settings will NOT delete any media or files from your iPhone.
Do it, it is guaranteed.

Regards and enjoy

BlazingGold

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
Simply (Reset All Settings)!! will fix the problem. :cool::cool:

i did have this problem on both my iPhones 6 and 6+. they just won't handle 3 taps!! now they both have 7 taps with no problem.

Resetting all settings will NOT delete any media or files from your iPhone.
Do it, it is guaranteed.

Regards and enjoy

I've done that and have restored phone as new through iTunes. Doesn't fix anything in regards to the reloading

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I think people need to stop associating the safari tab reloads with lack of RAM, this was something more of a myth and not a fact.

Its the way Apple has designed iOS and hardware blend, I have the iPad Air 2 and it too reloads the safari tabs after x amount of time (x = undefined amount of time as I did not measure it).

Most recent/current apps are prioritized with full performance regardless the amount of RAM there is available. (I am not an expert in the deep technical detail level of analyzing the OS and hardware so this is my prediction).

For as long as I can remember, the reloading of the tabs has always been associated with lack of RAM, from users to blog sites all over the web.

HotIce

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
My 5S reloads certain apps after a certain period of time. It's an optimization to increase battery life and the speed of the phone. Why is auto reload bad anyway? Depending on what site you're on, you'll get to see the newest content without having to lift a finger.

jt.syrja

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Finland
you'll get to see the newest content without having to lift a finger.
Or you'll get to see an empty forum post window or web form after visiting other safari tab or even after replying an imessage.. This happens way too often for me!!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Not that much no, it works well with just a few tabs open, but for some reason when I visit gamespot.com on my Plus, often it crashes the page in Safari and says "reloading" or itll just actually crash the spring board on my phone, its been only happening from this one website which makes me believe it is the website and not the device itself, not sure though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.