Does your keyboard hate certain words?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 23, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Try something for a minute here, open Notes and try to type "DeLorean" does the O type as a I and E type as a S, even though these letters work fine normally? This happens on my iPhone, it seems I am always pressing the wrong letters then they are in that word, yet I press them fine in any other word. This wouldn't be so bad in DeLorean was in the spall correct dictonary but it's not.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

it keeps pardoning my french words! :mad: (vulgar language if you dont understand) lol!! well that is on my itouch i dont have an iphone

3. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

fuc@ --> fuch
    wii --> wiu

I thought it was supposed to learn them? I seem to recall being able to type, "fuc@ing" without any issues, (I use it alot) but after one of the updates it seemed to stop learning. Yet other words that i use alot auto correct in my favor so its weird.

4. jlwillia macrumors regular

Perhaps Apple is trying to push their morals on all it's iPhone/iPod Touch users? I'm kidding (sort of). Perhaps they actually made it harder for the device to "learn" vulgarities? That would be bull*****.

If I want someone to harass me about swearing, I'll go to my parents house. I don't need it from my phone/ipod

5. Aephel macrumors newbie

I actually posted a HOW TO fix to add custom words to iPhone's word list yesterday, but it got deleted because I used cuss words lol...im making another one right now.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The issue of learning words aside, when the iPhone first came out, reviewers said the keyboard sensitivity was also adaptive somehow, like it dynamically changes the sensitivity zone for each key based on likely combinations in the language in question (so if a character is usually followed by a vowel, for instance, the vowels keys effectively become bigger and the adjacent keys become smaller to up the likelihood that you'll hit the more likely vowel).

I don't know how true this is or exactly how it works, though. But it was mentioned by numerous reviewers right when the iPhone came out.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yep. Forgot what some of the others are, but you can't correctly type the worse "Goose". It will correct it for you, but you cannot type it in directly. after you type G-O-O and try to hit the S, it will automatically choose D instead. When you hit the E, it auto-corrects to GOOSE.

Not a huge issue really. I'll take that over not having any sort of auto-correct.

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sounds about right.

I also cant type "litre" properly.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, that's because Steve Jobs also intends to put an end to English and allow American to take over the world. :eek: ;) :D

10. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Thats funny that you used "goose" as an example, as thats the word that is giving me problems! I type goose a lot (don't ask why), and it never even lets me pick an S when i get to it, only a D or an A. I wouldn't mind, but it only eventually auto-corrects to "goose" maybe 2/3 of the time. Aye!

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the keyboard does learn
    in its stock setting it doesn't recognize most slang , but it will learn them
    its dictionary is cleared after some updates (maybe all, but im not sure) so it must re learn

as for trying to type words and not being able to press certain letters, this is how it works
    as you type, the iPhone tries to guess what your typing
    say you type it'd
    as you type the phone guesses at what you're saying
    so you get it typed
    the iPhone realizes that there is no word in english spelled itf
    so it shrinks the target zone for the letter f, and enlarges the target zone for the letter d
    this way it is easier to avoid misspelling words
    however, in some cases this causes you to be unable to type a word without deleting and retyping (upon doing this, the iPhone stops playing with the target zones) until the phone learns that word

13. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Can't type "yo," ever.

14. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

This was described at launch of the original iPhone in an Apple tutorial video. When you're typing Goose, when you type Go, the keyboard and phone know that if you press around the O, it can probably assume even if you didn't hit o right on, you wanted to. Its another part of auto correction. Kind of annoying somethings, but useful at sometimes as well.

15. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I wish it would learn if I don't want to spell goose though.

16. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

You're right! I type G-O-O and then if I hold it down, I am able to scroll over the entire keyboard and view every letter magnified EXCEPT S. Weird.