Does your LaCie HDD make a few noises?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DDar, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, I bought a 500 GB d2 Quadra a little while ago, and I just noticed it makes some funny noises every once in a while. While running it's usually pretty quite (I DO think I hear the humming of the drive though... But it's barely noticeable, and it might just be my PC...), but when I power it on it makes a sort of "vroom" (kinda like a futuristic space shuttle type thing? :p) and when powering off I just heard a click... I was just wondering if this was common or not. =S

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds normal to me. its just the hard drive spindle spinning up and down. all you should here while its running is the spindle spinning and the head accessing the spindle.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I have a LaCie portable, and it sometimes clicks when writing large amounts of data, and hums whenever it is on. It sounds normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don

EDIT: I just hit 500 posts!!! :)

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

My 500gb LaCie makes rather loud spin up noises when it is recording, and then has a cool down/shut off noise which is pretty loud. Its rather annoying when I am trying to sleep and Time Machine is like 'You know what would be funny? Making a lot of noise and not letting him sleep!"

I'm going to get a quieter drive ASAP

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

500 and in timeout well done.