Does your MacPro Hum?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tysontabs, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tysontabs macrumors member

Hello, tabs again, I have had my MacPro since march of this year and a couple of months ago I noticed that at times it makes a low frequency humming noise. I opened it, inspected the fans and looked to see if the hard drives were installed correctly, which they were, I then discovered that if I press the palm of my hand against the door side of the case when closed, the humming stops.

I am thinking that it is normal and that I should look into getting some rubber shims to put into the door (to add to the grey gasket that is already there).

Any feedback is welcome!

2. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

I have the same problem as you, (the mac it self works fine). I notice if i press the door the hum stops (kind of) , or press one of the drives. Plus if i hold and press one of the handles and the top, the hums stops too.

Its like a vibration inside, very low hum which is a bit annoying!

I think this is normal, in the way in how its designed. The mac is not broken. Somebody recommended putting towel inside, though I'll give that miss.

Any ideas people?

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

This may help.
    IIRC, it involves the HDD sled(s) vibrating against the side panel. Different solutions are listed in the link.

Hope this helps. :)

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I dunno, it's just a sugesstion, since I'm not suffering from this, I can't test it for you. But have you tried applying a thin rubber sealer (similar to the type you apply to doors but thinner?) to the metal bar that runs above the hard-drives, or on the hard-drives sledges themselves? The audible hum your hearing could be cause by vibration only and the loose door could be amplifying the sound.

5. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I had the same problem, and a piece of small self-stick closed-cell foam weatherstrip along the drive sleds did the trick. ;)

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I get the same annoying hum, I really appreciate the link to cure the noise! I will report back on my results.

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I'm back and I can't believe it was this simple!!! I have no more annoying intermittent low frequency hum. :cool: