Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tysontabs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Hello, tabs again, I have had my MacPro since march of this year and a couple of months ago I noticed that at times it makes a low frequency humming noise. I opened it, inspected the fans and looked to see if the hard drives were installed correctly, which they were, I then discovered that if I press the palm of my hand against the door side of the case when closed, the humming stops.

I am thinking that it is normal and that I should look into getting some rubber shims to put into the door (to add to the grey gasket that is already there).

Any feedback is welcome!

chipandegg

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
UK
I have the same problem as you, (the mac it self works fine). I notice if i press the door the hum stops (kind of) , or press one of the drives. Plus if i hold and press one of the handles and the top, the hums stops too.

Its like a vibration inside, very low hum which is a bit annoying!

I think this is normal, in the way in how its designed. The mac is not broken. Somebody recommended putting towel inside, though I'll give that miss.

Any ideas people?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
This may help.
IIRC, it involves the HDD sled(s) vibrating against the side panel. Different solutions are listed in the link.

Hope this helps. :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I dunno, it's just a sugesstion, since I'm not suffering from this, I can't test it for you. But have you tried applying a thin rubber sealer (similar to the type you apply to doors but thinner?) to the metal bar that runs above the hard-drives, or on the hard-drives sledges themselves? The audible hum your hearing could be cause by vibration only and the loose door could be amplifying the sound.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
I had the same problem, and a piece of small self-stick closed-cell foam weatherstrip along the drive sleds did the trick. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.