Does your magsafe do this?

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Well the first thing, if you press it up against your ear, can you hear a buzz. And second, when the computer is on, does the tone of that "buzz" change when you move you hand on the trackpad?

I'm experiencing some very weird stuff here.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sorry, I personally never felt a need to press the magsafe connector against my ear. Were you particularly bored today? :cool:

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Sorry, I personally never felt a need to press the magsafe connector against my ear. Were you particularly bored today? :cool:
No, my computer was sleeping and I was reading a book at my desk. And I was hearing a buzz that sounded like AM radio hiss at very low volume.

sadcamper

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I've never heard any noise coming from the magsafe...try plugging it into another receptacle in your house.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
The PSU on my new MBP does this.

It's normal, though it could have been designed out by Apple.

The change in noise when you do something on the computer is the PSU adapting the amount of power being delivered.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Sorry, I personally never felt a need to press the magsafe connector against my ear.
Really? Mine tells me all sorts of stuff...that I should burn things and that everyone I know is against me.

To be fair, its hard to hear over the leprechaun at times...

SparkleX

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Germany
I have the same problem.

To get to the point: Don't bother, you can't do much about it ;)

I already brought it in to an Apple Store, and they built in a new logic board and magsafe connector.
The first weeks after that repair, it was completely quiet, but it suddenly reappeared. It's the same with my girlfriend's macbook, so seems to be normal.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello-

I have an older MacBook Pro and 2 AC Adapters.

I have 1 Older Style (White Tip) & 1 Newer (Silver) AC Adapter

The older Adapter does not make this noise, however the newer silver one does. I think it's something with the different design that causes the issue.

As long as it's not dangerous it doesnt bother me, and I usually have a ceiling fan on that drowns it out. :)

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
It makes a noise if you don't use the ground plug (Double prong only).

Syonidism

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Turkey
ive had this with many many power adapters.

This is because the power adapter is adapting the power output of your power socket to fit your computers needs. that hiss youre hearing is the resistance inside the adapter at work. Its perfectly normal.

what isnt normal is the fact that your power outlet is having variances on power output. This happens regularly in Turkey and is a major douche for the life expectancy of your battery.

if youre kinda still prickly on the subject i suggest you get a extender with a fuse inside it. That way if your power outputs go up where your adapter cand adapt and fail the actual power socket will fail instead of your AC adapter which costs 200 euros in Turkey.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The buzz is the processor idling at a frequency slow enough for you to hear. When you use the cursor with the trackpad it ups the frequency out of audible range.

I just pulled that out of my ass, but I've heard something about processors buzzing.

The PSU on my new MBP does this.

It's normal, though it could have been designed out by Apple.

The change in noise when you do something on the computer is the PSU adapting the amount of power being delivered.
EDIT: This makes so much more sense than what I said.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
if youre kinda still prickly on the subject i suggest you get a extender with a fuse inside it. That way if your power outputs go up where your adapter cand adapt and fail the actual power socket will fail instead of your AC adapter which costs 200 euros in Turkey.
Please tell me you meant to write TL200 and not €200 :eek:
They recently went on sale here for £28 each at Play.com (now back at normal price).

IndianSteveJobs

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
India
Well the first thing, if you press it up against your ear, can you hear a buzz. And second, when the computer is on, does the tone of that "buzz" change when you move you hand on the trackpad?

I'm experiencing some very weird stuff here.
Check your electric-socket earth connection. The buzz is because, a low voltage is passing through your body for earthing.

Immediately check your earth connection. Otherwise, when you not discharged, because of static electricity small components may get damaged.

One tip: Get discharged frequently. (you are statically being charged dude!) :eek: :D