Does your MBP Alu still get hot with Snow Leopard 10.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxap, Oct 6, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey people!!!

I am planning on buying Snow Leopard, but to be honest various reports on this forum regarding the heat issues with the new OSX 10.6 make me a bit scared.

Could anyone tell me how his/her MacBook Pro Alu (Unibody) works with Snow Leopard? Does it get much hotter than with Leopard? Do the fans constantly run?

I like the performance of OSX 10.5 and the fact that my machine is very silent. I don't really want to buy a new OS and all those issues with heat, noise etc...

I would love to get your advice... Thanks in advance.

2. Greenman85 macrumors regular

june 2009 mbp

i run smcfancontrol at about 2500 rpm. on my lap on top of a blanket it is consistently at about 115 f. i dont think it gets hot at all

3. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for your comment. My fans are now running at 1998 rpm. So, I believe 2500rpm will be much noisier... :( Sad...

4. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

2500 rpm isn't even really noticeable over 2000 rpm in regards to sound. I can only barely hear my fans when they are at 3000 rpm and that isn't even loud. Try turning them up to 6000 to really hear it.

5. Bloodhound macrumors newbie

Well...if you have VM , flashplayer, photoshop running at the same time then there is noway a macbook or any software could handle the heat and noise...

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hmm... then a logical question can be: to buy or not to buy Snow Leopard if the majority of users have this heat/fan speed issues? :( I hope this problem will be addressed in the next update 10.6.2...

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

My mum has a MBP 4,1 and it's aluminium and it's all in one piece, so I assume it's the one you mean.

With iStat Nano I'd get temps on Leopard of up to 70 celsius for the GPU, 60-65 for the CPU with prolonged use.

Nothing really has changed since Snow Leopard, except it is faster. (I haven't noticed the FAN either)
    It takes me about 10-15 seconds to boot up, 1-2 seconds to shut down etc..

I'm quite happy with it - I did a clean install on it.

Kind Regards

8. otis123 macrumors 6502a

My fans are at about 2000 RPM all the time and its dead silent, most of the bad reports about SL are from a few people that make alot of noise, I haven't had 1 issue.

9. sputacus macrumors regular

MBP 17" Jan-09

SL is running great - no issues. I set my fans to run at 2500 rpm baseline - very quiet.

10. atheros07 macrumors member

Unibody MBP 15", March 09, clean install of SL

I'd say go for it. I did a clean install last weekend, and yes, SL does run a bit warmer than Leopard. I use the IStat Pro widget and with the Nvidia 9400 I usually get temperatures around upper 40s - upper 50 degrees C, and with the 9600 switched on, temperatures are around 60 - 70 degrees C.

That said, it's really not a big difference in my opinion and the fans are still as silent as ever (they're constantly running at around 2000 rpm, and they haven't ramped up even once).

The small changes and interface tweaks are nice, the OS seems stable, and I haven't noticed any major bugs. Safari hasn't crashed on me yet and in fact it would have today if not for the new crash resistance feature. I was trying to watch a Flash video and got a momentary beachball... I got that sudden moment of dread, but Safari just stopped the Flash plug-in from loading and kept on going.

11. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap