Does your mbp get too hot? (i5 and i7 in particular)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adnoh, Dec 28, 2010.

?

Does your mbp get too hot to use on your lap?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  1. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I know too hot is a relative thing but do the new processors in the mbp shell get too hot for using on your lap?

I have the unibody MacBook with a core 2duo and the tdp is much less than the last laptop that I had before it (core duo). I was thinking if I got the latest or next revision of mbp, could I use on tmy lap or would I end up with roasted nuts?

2. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I don't have the i7, but I have the first generation of the Uni-body, and while I do find the CPU runs fairly hot most of the time (175-200ºF) It's still never too hot to put on my lap. --I don't use it much on my lap though, mostly on my desk where it is well ventilated.

3. alongston macrumors newbie

I have the 17 and mine tends to get too hot if I am gaming, but it seems to be okay when I am working. When it gets hot, I usually try to sit it on the table rather than my legs.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I just have the MBP 13" not the i5 or i7 but I notice this thing gets as cold as an ice cube and then when I turn it on it turns to a normal temp. if not slightly warm to the touch. Nothing like some other laptops that have literally burned my skins...

5. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

17" 3.06ghz c2d got uncomfortably hot on the left palmrest.
    Current 17" i5 doesn't get as hot.
    Can't say I ever used either on the lap though.

6. solos72 macrumors newbie

I have a UMBP-Mid 2010 15" with i5. It's my first Mac laptop, I have had several other laptops (Sony, Dell, Compaq) and they always ran too hot to have on my lap. My current MBP getss warm but not as hot as the other have. I have realized the only time it runs hot is when the battery is nearly drained and I charge it and also when I have it connected to my television via the mini display port. Otherwise, surfing, Garageband, iDVD do make it warm but not too hot to place on the lap. Hope that helped.

7. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

13" C2D (2010) is cold (as an ice cube!), and then gets normal temperature after its turned on.

Can't say I've ever thought that it has gotten too hot, though.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The 13 inch Core 2 Duo systems don't seem to get too hot for lap use even if overclocking slightly, but the slightly more powerful Core 2 Duo 15/17 inch processors which are closer to 3GHz seem to run significantly hotter despite having an extra fan. My 2.53 currently is sitting at 122 with Internet, Word, SPSS, Excel, iTunes, and iPhoto. Unless streaming info from the Internet continuously, running actual discs,

The i7 runs HOT if you are running resource heavy programs. It sits at a hotter standard temp than the 13 inch does, but it does not seem to be that much different temp wise than the previous 15/17 inch processor.

The ones prior to the Unibody and especially Core Duo got so hot you could heat your living quarters with.

Another thing to note is that the MBP does not actually run that much hotter than other computers; in fact, it runs a lot cooler. No, it isn't because it is a Mac, it is because it uses an aluminum casing (just like the Vaio Z) and the aluminum transfers heat in a different fashion than plastic does, and a large portion of aluminum notebooks' cooling is the case itself due to aluminum's heat dissipation capabilities.

9. chipz macrumors member

Does youe mbp get too hot? (i5 and i7 in particular)

I just changed from a MacBook 13" 2.4 GHz 2 GB RAM and 250 GB HDD Core 2 Duo to a 15" MBP 2.9 GHZ 4 GB RAM 500 GB HDD and the change is fantastic. The C2D ran hot and after a few minutes of work, was too hot to keep on my lap. The i7 in my MBP runs cool as a cucumber. It gets warm after about 1/2 hour use, but still comfortable for use on a laptop. f the fans are running, I don't even hear them.