Does your mbp make a pulsing noise??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, Jun 3, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Hey all, just curious if this is normal. i used to hear my mbp fan blowing faintly when i was ever in a silent room. but now i've been hearing a pulsing noise, like a spinning pulsing faint noise....its hard to describe what it sounds like but if you can imagine what a pulse fan noise would sound like.....thats what its like lol.

2. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

to add to the description. i believe it maybe the 7200rpm rotating? cause it sounds like a rotating pulsing sound.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i think it's just your hard drive spinning. nothing to worry about imo, if anything, just back it up if you feel unsafe :D otherwise, apple should replace it if it messes up. this is just a inconvenient bugga.

4. apple.gr macrumors regular

We have the same laptop but I don't hear anything. Only to times when the CPU has reached 60C the fans were running a bit faster.

Ps.: My harddrive is upgraded by Apple and it's a Seagate

5. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

6. alanmor macrumors newbie

My experience is if the hard drive starts making funny noise BACKUP right away just in case i have had faced this problem before and it was not pretty. Well good thing was not my laptop but a friend of mine, she lost everything, the hard dive started making slight noise until the OS just didn't start anymore and then the sound was awful like needles scratching the disks, for some reason macs have these problems with the HD, at least thats what i have heard (correct me if im wrong) somehow its bad to just close the lid and let it sleep cuz if you by accident hit the laptop the hard drive gets messed up. Thats why i shut down every time im not using it.

7. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

hmmm interesting....i may end up doing that myself (turning it off rather then sleeping it).

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I also have the 500GB 7200 hard drive and I hear the same noise. It's not bad when in a quit room its very noticeable. I am very satisfied with my Macbook Pro and I understand its not going to be perfect. I'll say one thing, this is the most quit notebook I have ever used. I will definitely take the hard drive noise over loud blowing fans.