Does your MBP put a smile on your face?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingerman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. fingerman macrumors member

After years of using PC's (before that Commodore's !!! - how old am I) I love using my MBP!

The simplicity and the way I'm getting used to using it more and more I just love the thing.

There's too many negative threads on here about my mac doesn't do this or that blah blah blah!

I still have a works Dell laptop and can spend half of my day waiting for the thing to do what I ask so I use a virtual machine of it on me mac!

I constantly see and here issues from my works colleagues who encounter problems and end up ranting and cursing their machines!

The wife now wants one and even my eldest lad (8 years old) said he does as well - I asked him and he explained that when I open the lid it just does it quick!

Anyway, just though I'd get that of my chest - best get saving up :D

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Damn well said. As a MCSE for 18 years, I have obviously worked on PC's for work. I have been exclusively using Macs at home for 6 years now and have converted many clients over to the bright side. I can't even stand to use Windows anymore. I personally own 4 Macs and love them.

3. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

cool.

thing is, if you spend half of the day waiting for your PC to do a task that means two things: its old, or you have too much bloatware on it that it can't do anything. or both:p

yes, my mac puts a smile on my face -just like my pc does- because it helps me get jobs done, not because its a mac.

4. yly3 macrumors 6502

Yes it does. Every time I need to use a friend's Vaio or Dell or Acer it just feel wrong.. not because of the OS, but about the feel. The quality keyboard, that solid feel etc. I simply cannot go back. Maybe I am one of those iSheeps who value a case more than specs but Apple surely nails it.
    I love the battery life (I really am getting 7 hours, would get maybe even 10 only with Word and no Internet), like you said, it keeps putting a smile on my face.

5. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I'm in a transitional period right now moving from a Mac Pro to a Macbook Pro 2011...

I like the fact that the laptop is actually significantly faster. But the hardware control sucks. Removing hard drives, optical drives, ram, getting inside the internals, etc. its such a pain in the ass.

Installing a dual boot setup on two separate hard drives has been a nightmare. I'm happy to say thats it done now but it took forever (and it doesnt help when you have to downgrade to Snow Leopard either).

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It did when I first got my first Mac but that "novelty" wore off. I realized it's just a computer and after dual booting Windows 7 and using it for school-related purposes, I think some people might be over-exaggerating the flaws and problems of Windows. I'm not saying no one should have problems but people make it sound bad like you're sitting there looking at non-functional computer. I could switch back and forth without a problem.

7. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

A smile on my face? No. It's just another computer with a different OS to be used.

People has always preached to me about how the grass is greener on the Mac side of the hill but I found that to be a major over exaggeration. There's just as many if not more problems with a Mac than there are with PC's, some of the problems are unique to Macs, while others are unique to PC's.

There are some features I like about the MBP while there's others that I don't. For example I like the battery life of my MBP but it comes with a sacrifice... the USB ports are too close together as a result. It has a Thunderbolt port but something as common as connecting an external monitor requires me to buy a separate adapter. If the monitor is DVI instead of VGA, I have to buy another one. If it's HDMI, then I have to buy yet another one. I like the touchpad very much but Lion's gestures make using it not very fun (like the claw gestures).

8. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I love it so much! Too much probably

When the fans kick in and the computer warms up, i like to close the lid, flip the MBP over, and put my face against the warm black vents while sniffing up that sweet aluminium smell.

9. fingerman thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha nice one, not just you then :eek: :D

10. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

I'm not sure how you can say removing the Hard Drive or Ram is difficult on the MacBook Pro? Taking the Hard Drive or Ram out is extremely simple.

Take the bottom cover off whats that 12 screws?, take the 2 harddrive locking screws out, pop off the sata done. Ram is even easier. push the 2 tabs done the ram pops up and slides out!

----------

I use my mac's heat to warm my hands in a cold room!

11. shelhed217 macrumors member

12. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

I am an IT guy at my work and spend the whole day working on Windows machines and even if they have the same processor as my MBP its nowhere near as fast. Everyone comes into my office and ask are we switching to Macs and I have to tell them no. I have a saying "I fix pc's but I own a Mac" So yes my MBP puts a big smile on my face.

13. SkaarjHunter macrumors newbie

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

PowerBook G4 made me smile...MacBook Pro made me super smile!

15. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

this is my 1st mac and i was excited when i ordered it from apple, anxious when i was following delivery, and now I'm very happy to open it everyday.

i still have my pc and use it when i need something off it and i just don't have the same feeling. i think its really is about build quality and the ease of os x. i notice just little things about it everyday the more i use it, and that makes me smile.

16. f1restarter macrumors regular

After playing the BF3 Beta for almost all day on my 15" mbp, I'm definitely smiling!! :p

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

it isn't difficult, its easy. but its a pain in the ass for anyone who's only been used to desktop experience. I've been on a mac pro and powermac for 10 years.

installing windows and osx wasn't easy. I had to have the optical drive in the laptop, windows will not install from usb optical. I have two other drives that need to be booted from one via usb. lion has its own recovery install partition, which I removed.

trying to play with the macbooks innards requires 10 screws to be removed before the bottomcase can be popped off and then its six more to remove the hd in the primary drive..

on my mac pro its one single latch to open it and I'm done and I've got 4 bays to use for all sorts of hard drives and my dvd drive is always there.

its a long process of jumping back and forth when installing operating systems and windows on separate drives, the optical drive needs to be swapped in and out a few times.

it took a while to get my macbook pro setup the way I wanted, but its worth it.

18. Apok macrumors regular

I've had my first Mac for a little over a year now, and it does indeed put a smile on my face. I probably wouldn't use a PC if it wasn't for work. In fact, I feel kinda dirty as I type this on my Dell at work. Terrible, it really is.

19. Nachi macrumors newbie

Nachi

Im a huge PC user, and I just received my first 17in Macbook Pro yesterday and I never been happier:D might not be going back to Windows EVER;)

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup it sure does, but im coming from a crap Dell Inspiron 1150 so its a big upgrade for me

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use both MBP's and ThinkPad's. My personal favorite for years has been Mac PowerBooks and now MBP's.

I really hated Apple for abandoning the popular and successful name "PowerBook". And believe me I almost never use the word hate.

It was the narcissistic Steve Jobs that did it. He couldn't stand the fact that it was Wosniak's idea, so upon returning to Apple he changed it to the rather cumbersome name "MacBook Pro". The loyalists like myself pushed back _hard_ but it was futile. The brilliant PowerBook was gone forever.

Tim Cook would have never wasted time doing something so asinine.

He will lead Apple with style, class & a thinking mans real power, going forward.

The sooner Jobs truly steps aside the better. If he puts in a cameo at the iPhone announcement I'll puke. To speak condescendingly to his loyal customers of decades when he said "You're Holding It Wrong" was a reflection of an ass.

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

It does for me. But my dead pixel on my 17" doesn't :(

Good thing I'll be trading this for a 15" 2.3, HR AntiGlare w/ AppleCare until 7/2014. Good upgrade IMO since I keep my SSD and HDD w/ OptiBay.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just remember, the only thing better than a MacBook Pro?

Is _TWO_ MacBook Pro's, my favorites are my 2011 15" & 17" models... :D

w/ 8GB and SSD's... BLAZING Fast !