Does your MBP with WD 320GB scorpio HD AutoSleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, May 22, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

i have this is issure. My MBP 2.4GHz SR with 10.5.2 wont autosleep after i replaced the internal HD with WD 320GB scorpio drive (by autosleep i mean automatically sleeping after some time of inactivity) . It sleeps just fine when i do these, apple/sleep or press option+command+eject.

anyway, i figured out that the hard drive is the problem because i tried many different things and it didnt autosleep. I called AC and they couldnt get it to work.

as a test i booted leopard installed on an external hard drive and the MBP autoslept. This is really confusing me.

can i confirm everyone is not having this problem? (i mena those who installed the WD 320GB scropio hard drive)

regards.

2. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just set my sleep timer to 2 minutes as an experiment. My computer went into auto sleep no problems. Does yours behave the same way regardless of if its on battery power or plugged in? I only tried with the power adapter plugged in.

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Mine is a 2.6GHz SR running 10.5.2 with the WD 320GB Scorpio installed. It auto-sleeps with no problems.

4. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

That is so bad, mine doesnt no matter what i do.
    AC told me to do archieve and install but it didnt help.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I've had auto-sleep problems recently, but in my case I tracked it down to the SugarSync Manager application---and still wouldn't auto-sleep after uninstalling the software. I did a clean install, manually re-installed applications (sans SugarSync), and restored home folders from a Time Machine backup. No problems ever since.

7. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Mine autoslept no problem when I had that drive..before my upgrade;)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

ohhhh someone with a 500 gigger lets all faint :D

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Its pretty sweet...but I also could have an OEM 7k320 ;) But yes, I have the 5k500. Its amazing and fast/quiet

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I need to get myself that 320GB 7.2k drive.

11. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

this is interesting

actually the osx in the external did not have all the software i have on the internal drive. Actually it does not have anything except for normal audio/vidio players and web browsers.

so maybe some of the software i installed is making the problem.
    I dont have sugarsync (unless it comes with system and i dont know about)

but i have these that operate 100% of the time

You Control/ You control Desktops/ you control fonts
    iStat menus
    little snitch 2.02
    no extra wigets

by the way, i am really liking the WD 5k320
    when the 5k640 comes out, i am in again.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know they make the 2-platter 7k320 for 9.5mm height, so it why not make a 3-platter 7k480 for us 12mm people?

13. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont really know. But i guess only the 17" model will accept that size. However the pc market can hold any sort of size. Take dell for example, i think their laptops can hold up to 5 platters. thick. :D

14. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Hmmmmm biggest hard drive I see on NewEgg is 250 gig. Where are you guys finding these bigger ones?

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I got mine from Softmap, here in Japan

16. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

OWC.

eshop.macsales.com

Great place! Good customer service..ships out the same day!

17. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I've found that most sleep-related problems can either be tracked to software or solved with SMC reset and zapping PRAM. In the last few years, I've had three Macs that, at one or more times during their lives, have experienced auto-sleep problems. In one case, a reset of the SMC fixed it. In another, it was a non-Universal daemon running in the background on the Rosetta layer (I forget the app). Most recently, it was this SugarSync Manager app (whether it happened to be running or not).

I would be willing to bet on it.

No, it doesn't. SugarSync is a paid Internet backup/sync service. Awesome service, but the Mac version is still a bit too buggy for prime time.

I don't use any of those, so I'm not sure. Keep in mind that the culprit software doesn't necessarily have to be running 100% of the time, though. For example, the SugarSync app caused my sleep issues once installed, and those issues remained even when the app wasn't running, there were no daemons in the background associated with it---and the issues remained even after uninstalling the app and its associated files. It must have changed a system file somewhere that I couldn't track down. After a clean install of OS X and all apps previous apps except SugarSync, all was well.

18. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

xpovos

you have been a great help, thanks. And you were right, software caused my autosleep problem.

The problem is the software called You Control 1.6.1
    THis is a great software and i cant live without it. It gives you customised menues that let you access customised file system locations and different sort of things. I highly recommend it.

However, it turns out it is the problem and once uninstalled my MBP autosleeps.

to figure it out, i installed leopard in an external drive and installed software one by one. when i reached You Control, the MBP stopped autosleeping. (thanks for apple for letting us install osx in external drives with ease)

I filed a feedback report to You Software hopefully they come with a soltution to this problem soon.

Please if you are using this software go to their site and complain about it.

Eventually, i am not removing the software for now because i really like it. I will send the MBP to sleep myself untill they repair the bug.

Thnks guys.

19. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

20. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

hate to dig up a 6month old thread, but this OP experienced my exact issue I am now.

For the past two weeks, my autosleep with my 7k320 Hitachi HD will not work. No matter what I do:

adjust the sleep timer
    reinstall fresh from 10.5.2 discs
    restore backups
    reset PRAM/SMC

Its odd because it worked up until 2 weeks ago. Now it wont work at all. It sleeps fine with other drives running leopard, but not my 7k320. Ive tried everything HELP!