Does your new Alu Macbook periodically make a whrring noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superloud, Nov 7, 2008.

1. superloud macrumors newbie

I really don't know how to reproduce it. But every so often I'll notice my new Alu Macbook make a quiet little Whrrr noise. It almost sounds like the optical drive wants to start up - but the sound only lasts for like 1 second.

Like I said, it's pretty quiet. But strangely, sometimes it will happen repeatedly. For example, the first time it happened, I heard this little whrrr, and at first I wondered if I left a disc in the drive. As I was pondering that, it happened again. So I lifted the macbook up to listen closer. Every 10 seconds or so, for the next little while, I heard it again. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was. After a few times, it stopped happening.

Since then, it's happened a couple times. But honestly, it's so quiet, that if the tv is on or something, I probably just wouldn't notice. I haven't had another chance like the first time, to hear it back to back a few times.

Like I said, it's a pretty quiet sound. It sounds a little like it's coming from the optical drive, but I can't say for sure. Could it be the CPU fan starting up? If so, why would it happen periodically? I also wondered if due to me moving the laptop around, could it be "parking" the hard drive? I doubt that though because the hard drive is on the opposite corner of the laptop (not where the sound seemed to come from), and it's not like I was shaking it around or anything.

Has anyone had a similar experience? My old macbook of 2 years never did this. I did order my Alu MB the day they were announced. Could this be one of those "kinks" that they need to iron out?

2. superloud thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to clarify...
    I don't think this has to do with the MB coming out of sleep.
    The reason is because this happened while I was actively surfing the web.

The reason I mentioned that it might be the sound of it "parking the hard drive" was because in the first example I described, I happened to be sitting on the couch surfing, with the MB on my lap. I wasn't moving the the MB around much, but I thought just maybe it had something to do with the sudden motion sensor kicking in, and wanting to park, and re-park the hard drive frequently. (again, just a theory)

Again, I'm not talking about any normal sounds that happen right after opening/closing the macbook. This is in the middle of surfing the web. Nothing too intense, no other applications running, no finder windows open and trying to access the optical drive, I'm not sticking any paper clips into the optical drive either.