Does your Power Support Anti-Glare have what appears to be horizontal "scan lines"?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by botsmack, Aug 26, 2009.

1. botsmack macrumors member

I just bought my first iPhone last week and am loving it. So glad I made the decision to get this over the Touch Pro 2. Anyway, I have been researching which screen protector to get and I settled on the Power Support Anti-Glare. I dropped by the local Apple Store last night to pick it up.

Installation didn't go as easy as I thought and I ended up ruining the first one. Not really ruining it, per se. But once any particle of lint gets on the underside of these things it's not coming off and will create a bubble.

That's neither here, nor there. I got the second applied perfectly. I love the feel of it and it definitely helps with fingerprints and smudges, but the clarity is off. I know all the reviews say that it's nothing to complain about, but it really is. If any loss in clarity and resolution might bother you, then I think you won't like this. I could almost live with it if it wasn't for these horizontal "scan lines" that I notice on the screen now. I know they aren't really scan lines, but there's something in the protector itself that makes it look like there are little lines of pixels. They don't "move" unless you move the phone. If I do any faint vertical rotating of the phone, then the lines appear to scroll up or down. It's very noticeable on a white background. I wish I could provide a better description.

Is this normal and part of the screen protector material or do I have a bad batch? I'm contemplating returning this and maybe getting the clear one instead. I know it will have issues with fingerprints, but this issue I'm currently having with the anti-glare is almost too much for me to live with.

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Someone else in here reported the same issue with the PS Anti-Glare. There must be a bad batch because I've never had that problem with my PS shields. I would definitely exchange it for a new package.

Any way you can try to take a picture and post it here? Maybe we'll be able to see what you're talking about in a picture.

3. greenpaz macrumors member

I have the PS anti-glare, and I don't have the problem you mentioned. However, my screen does seem quite pixelated, which makes me want to try the PS crystal version. I often wonder what sort of clarity I'm missing with the anti-glare...

4. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

At least if you try the crystal, you won't miss out on glare. Now if there was an anti-glare crystal...

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've used both the Crystal and the Anti-Glare and I prefer the AG. The Crystal obviously looks great but it constantly needs to be cleaned - the fingerprints, smudges and facial grease are beyond annoying. I would go naked before I went back to the Crystal since the 3GS at least has the oleophobic screen. I also found that scrolling wasn't as smooth with the Crystal.

While there is certainly a loss of clarity with Anti-Glare, you definitely get used to it and it's really not that bad at all. Plus not having to clean off the screen every 2 seconds is an added bonus. Scrolling is much smoother too.

I agree with HowEver about some type of crystal anti-glare - that would be amazing. I don't even know if it's possible but I hope someone is looking into making an oleophobic screen protector. That would be a huge money-maker.

6. greenpaz macrumors member

Good info. I'll stick with the anti-glare...

7. botsmack thread starter macrumors member

I would take pictures if I could, but I don't have a digital camera available. I think what I'll do is run by the Apple Store and see what they think. If it turns out to be "normal" then I'll probably end up taking it off and either going naked or possibly getting a Bodyguardz.

8. botsmack thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to update everyone and those who might be reading this and thinking about purchasing a Power Support Anti-Glare. I went back to the Apple Store today pick up a copy of Snow Leopard and inquire about exchanging my Anti-Glare for another one to see if it was a bad batch, so to speak.

The sales guy looked at my phone then went in to the back to get, what I suspect, was his iPhone and brought it out. We looked at them both together and we couldn't notice the problem on his.

I just put the new Anti-Glare from the new package and it still have the same "problem". I put that in quotes, because I don't think it's a problem, per se. It's just an annoyance I can't live with. Granted, he pulled the replacement Anti-Glare off the same shelf where I just purchased my previous set a few days earlier. So, it might very well be a bad batch at this particular store. Who knows.

All I know is that I have put three Anti-Glares on my iPhone and they have this same effect. I found another thread on the forums that actually described it better -- it is like a "rainbow/sparkly" line effect. I think it's inherent in the Anti-Glare chemistry.

I'm going to try and get my money back and/or exchange it for the crystal. I'm on the fence, because I can't decide whether I should go with the crystal, something else (e.g., Bodyguardz), or just go naked. I have a Vaja Black & Red case arriving Monday, so the screen will be protected by that. I have a decision to make...

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You say that he didn't have the problem on "his" phone but you didn't mention whether or not he had the anti-glare on his a well. If he did and you both noticed that yours looked different, you should have had him put the new one on for you and compare them again. It's unacceptable to have your screen looking like that - it does not sound normal at all.

10. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I think I might have what you're describing unless my eye is playing with me. On mine when I have a white screen, it kind of appears like there are the same lines. On other times it looks kinda rainbowy/pixelated. I always though it was just a problem with the anti glare, and didn't realize it could be defective. Mine came with my Air Jacket. Unfortunately everyone else I know uses the crystal protectors instead so I can't compare, and I don't feel like paying $15 for a new one.

It doesn't bother me as bad as the finger prints and oil does, and it makes it easier to use my phone, so I'm gonna keep it on.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

I know the thread is about a week old but I thought I'd mention that I had that same issue with that screen protector. I contacted Power Support, they sent me a new one, and the new one was flawless.