Does your "repair disk permission" assign a new permission for ./Library/Widgets?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned. Every time I run a repair disk permission on my 12" PB (running Tiger 10.4.1), it says"

"We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877"

I think I started getting that after installing third party widgets from Apple website. I donwloaded it on the desktop and move it over to /Library/Widgets folder (and click "Authenticate" to put it in that folder).

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
According to this thread on the Apple.com forums
OS X 10.4.1 modifies the permissions in the <hard drive>/Library/Widgets folder to prevent malicious installs...
From what I gather, this is just a 'feature' of 10.4.1 and was not present in 10.4.0. So there's no need for alarm, Apple are trying to keep us safe from evil Widgets :p.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
Oh thank God...

I thought it was just me, but yeah, every single time I repair permissions, even if i have no widgets open and all the widget preferences trashed. I'm happy to find out it's a "feature"