Does Your Retina MacBook Have Keyboard Problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smelly cat, Apr 16, 2016.

?

Does Your 12" MacBook Have Keyboard Problems?

1. Yes

27.7%
  2. No

72.3%
  1. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 12" MacBook. Everything has been fine, but from what I understand the keyboard on this model of MacBook is less than robust. I'm thinking of returning this MacBook due to the apparent prevalence of the issue. I wanted to get a feel for what owners in this community have experienced.

How many people here have had a MacBook, say, since launch that have had no problems with their keyboard? Should I be worried enough to return this machine for the 13" MacBook Pro? What's the consensus ?

2. emoji man macrumors newbie

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

11 months in, no issue as yet. Given we are so close to potential refresh of the rMB & rMBP it would seem prudent to wait at least until after WWDC in June, as ether ways there will be more options.

Q-6

4. smelly cat thread starter macrumors regular

smelly cat

I only heard about the keyboard issue after making the purchase. Fortunately, I was well within my return period.

I did end up exchanging the MacBook for a 13" MacBook Pro. The spectre of possible keyboard issues (especially when my warranty eventually runs out) was making it hard to actually enjoy the machine psychologically.

The poll numbers here are interesting. While it's not scientific because of the small sample size, a ratio of two out of fifteen people for a product that's only a year old is disheartening.

5. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

6. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

7. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I voted no, but my launch day macbook had issues (stuck keys). It looks like they have ironed those issues out and new ones are good to go.

9. meboy macrumors regular

Don't think they ironed anything out. Just the slop of new buyers has dropped by quite a bit so there are less people posting about it here lately.
    It's not feasible to tinker with the manufacturing a whole lot.

10. emoji man macrumors newbie

I don't have any problems with MacBook keyboard, i'm coming from a MacBook Pro 15" and i like it more!

11. MDMacGuy macrumors newbie

Just a week or so ago, my right shift key started acting up. I can get it to work if I play with it enough. Not so bad that I want to run through the Genius gauntlet (I live more than an hour from the nearest Apple Store and can only get there on a weekend), but it's annoying.

Fortunately (?) my system password has a capital letter that requires the right shift key, so I know very quickly if "today is going to be a bad keyboard day." It usually works itself out after a few minutes.

Otherwise no complaints except that coworkers sometimes complain that my typing is too loud.

12. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Ive had a Macbook since June last year and its been fine

13. smelly cat thread starter macrumors regular

smelly cat

Some very interesting responses in this thread.

My general feeling based on some research and this thread is that the keyboard issue is very much alive and well. Obviously, it hasn't impacted all MacBook users, but it still seems to be pervasive enough to justify some worry. Starting about now, the earliest adopters of the Macbook will see their standard 1 year warranties run out. Even though this problem seems to be a design flaw, who knows if Apple will replace the keyboard/top case without charging the owner?

Apple hasn't issued any kind of quality program for this issue the way they did with the "screengate" fiasco, and who knows if that will ever happen? There are too many unknowns. I'm currently still using the the 13" MacBook Pro that I bought when I returned the 12" MacBook. It's a lovely machine, but I'd still prefer to use the 12" MacBook -- but only under the condition that the design is defect free, which doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm raring to see if there indeed will be a refresh of the MacBook tomorrow. Who knows, maybe the refresh will include a slightly revised and more robust keyboard?

14. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Mine works great. I actually prefer this keyboard...

15. meboy macrumors regular

They will of course charge you for the repair if you're out of warranty..

No major change to keyboard design. They could use a slightly harder plastic for some components but you can quickly throw all kinds of things out of whack just changing one thing. I doubt they'll do anything.

16. smelly cat thread starter macrumors regular

smelly cat

Indeed, normally that's absolutely the case. I was just thinking that since the keyboard issue seems to be fairly common, Apple might institute a Quality Program for the MacBook. This is something that they did for the screen lamination peeling problems on the MacBook Pro.

Hey, a man can hope... right? Haha.

17. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I did have my keyboard replaced. I think the keyboard is fragile in the sense that if the slightest amount of debris gets into the keyboard, it will block some keys. I would say: get AppleCare.