Does your rMBP also become extremely slow when battery is low?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacRazySwe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

As soon as my battery drops below 10 %, my rMBP sometimes become extremely slow. Safari browsing starts to lag horribly, for example.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Maybe there is some sort of Power Save feature built into the rMBP? This never happened on my 2011 MBA, 2009 MacBook or 2007 MBP.

I have the late 2013, 13" rMBP 2.4/8/256

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It could be OS X's power saving feature. I've not run into a situation where my MBP's battery goes that low. If that occurs consistently for you, then it's a safe bet that the system is trying to conserve the battery by slowing itself down.

3. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I can confirm my Retina MacBook Pro does this when it hits around 5% battery.

I suspect it's just some overzealous power saving tech - I suspect it's heavily underclocking the CPU.

4. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone!

Yes, you're right, it's probably closer to 5 % battery. It's seriously bothering me from time to time! Does anyone know if there is any way to turn this off? I suspect there isn't...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you considered plugging it in before it gets that low, or is AC power not available?

6. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I had the AC-adapter nearby I would rarely be getting down to 5 % in the first place. ;) But yeah, otherwise it's easy to just plug it in. It always fixes it.

7. RyePierre macrumors newbie

I kinda like this feature. It happens to me at around 8%. I produce music which uses a lot of cpu power so when it slows down it really slows but it also lets me know that I need to either save (if I cant get to a power source), or plug in. Handy little life saver in that respect

8. deviant macrumors 65816

it shouldn't bother you, it's doing that because it wants to give you that extra minute to save your work and shutdown the computer.

my battery is all f up so mine is doing it at around 25% ;( cause mine 25 is not really 25 anymore :D

9. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, thank you good sir! :) However, this thread is more than two years old and the rMBP in question is long gone.

10. deviant macrumors 65816

oh well, i always forget to look at the date. anyway, maybe you'll buy a macbook in the future.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Yea it gets slower I think